vray fast sss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vray fast sss

I dont think I have ever seemed to get a desent sss material in vray, neither with the "standard" method, or the new fast sss..

I am currently tweaking my heart out with fast sss but I cant even see any difference no mather what settings I tweak.

I have studied the "manual" but, for such a complex material, I cant seem to figure this out.. All this filter talk are just making my head spin..
    I am trying to make an icecream material.

Anyone have any tips for the fast sss?

-Tom

Not sure how good this is or what kind of icecream you need, but here is a try:

Here is the scene: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/images/st...ecream_try.rar

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

your image is already melting in the tropical heat here hehe. must be getting cold in most of the area the forum people live (except our down south people)

---------------------------------------------------
      MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
      stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

you could have just said heat... you didn't have to rub it in by saying tropical heat...

Comment

Thanks vlado, I will take a look at it when I am back at the office..

What I am trying to achieve, is a material with the diffuse being withish in the highlights, and then beeing more warm falling off to the shadows, also trying to get the light penetrating the ice, out to the shadows areas being warm, so you get a orange tint in the shadowing areas..

A great sss shader in my book would be a shader that had a diffuse color, and as you can se in the picture a sss "element" that used the diffuse color and saturated it to color the shadowed area.

That would mean that you only had one color to tweak, maybe the option for the shadow coloring, + two spinners, one for depht and one for spread or something simular...

That would at least leave out alot of guesswork for idiots like me...

-Tom

Comment

I prepared a material encapsulation that does just that.
            It IS limited (no speculars added in yet) but it works exactly as you were mentioning.
            It has another limit, in that it will not work if used within a vrayBlend material.
            It WILL work, however, within a shellac material (black diffuse, just the highlight component in the second mat), and given that it's complementary, it will shade quicte quickly (ie. the quickSSS has no specular on itself, so there's no overbrightness).
            It is not, however, based on the fastsss material, rather on the hybrid method for standard vray mats.
            Put the script in your maxroot/stdplugs/ folder, and you're set to go (you'll find the material in the standard material list)
            http://www.scriptspot.com/lele/VrayQuickSSS_1.0.mse

below a quick sample of a displaced geosphere with the material at its defaults (depth of the SSS increased to 0.8 ), lit by two omnis with hard vrayShadows.
            No speculars there, it's all SSS.
            Forgive the lack of BG or GI, just a quick test with no AA and low sampling.
            Lele
            Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
            ----------------------
            emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
            The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

wow, thats very generous of you lele, looking forward to testing this..

-Tom

Comment

Hi,
                that's my test.
                VRayFastSSS in a blendmaterial

Geometrie is VRayISO

Dieter
                --------
                visit my developer blog

Comment

definitely a different class
                  Lele
                  ----------------------

Disclaimer:
                  The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

show-off!

amazing test dimmo!
                    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                    nuno@ene-digital.com
                    00351 917593145

Comment

Modifed the code of the material, so now instead of replacing the vray material Ui, it will add the two new rollouts (parameters, and about) to the vray material, allowing to set the specularity and diffuse at will.
                      Please re-download it.
                      Lele
                      ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

Working...
                      X