dongle software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dongle software

OK...I'm a numb-nut. I didn't read the literature that ships with the dongle and went ahaed and installed the dongle software that ships with the 64 bit version of the latest vray...unfortunately i should not have done that. Once i get the right dongle software, should i just install over the 32 bit version that shipped with the 64 bit Vray or should i uninstall it (if that's even possible)
    mh

If you managed to install it, then it was the correct one.

If, for any reason, you want to uninstall the dongle drivers, you can do that from the Control panel > Add/remove programs.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

when i try to render using vray as the render, i get "could not obtain license" . When i booted up the computer, the vray dongle was found. is there something else i need to do to get the license?
      mh

Comment

do you have the license service running as well?

Comment

i have no idea. how would i be able to tell? and if i don't have it running how does one get it started?
          mh

Comment

The easiest way to tell if the license server is running is to check the Task Manager for the vrlservice.exe process.

If you wish you can check the PDF installation guide; it has other trouble-shooting tips as well: http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S..._quick_1_5.pdf

Best regards,
            Vlado

Comment

thanks, that helps. I had to manually launch vray.
              So............am i going to have to manually launch vray for every session from now on?
              mh

Comment

You can do either of two things:

1. You can click Start menu > Programs > Chaos Group > V-Ray for 3ds Max > Licensing > Administration > Register V-Ray license service and then restart your machine. This will cause the V-Ray license server to start automatically every time you start Windows, regardless if there is a user logged on to the system.

2. You can create a short cut to the V-Ray license server in the Start menu > Programs > Startup folder (either to your local user one or to the All Users one). This will cause the V-Ray license server to start automatically every time you or someone else logs on to the machine.

Best regards,
                Vlado

Comment

worked perfect.
                  The vray forum is (in my humble opinion) the best in the world and the vray support is like no other software we own. Incerdible!
                  Thanks much.
                  Now if i can get the display to stop crashing when i place a vray sun in the scene then life would be even better.
                  thanks again.
                  mh

Comment

It will probably work if you use OpenGL rather than DirectX for the viewports...

[EDIT] Just saw in the off-topic section that you are using OpenGL. No idea what might be causing this then; works fine here as far as I can tell, but my card is Nvidia 8800 GTX...

Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

i'm not sure if it is vista or the nvidia card or ...but i have never seen my computer just go blank...all the way back to when there is no display, just a floating rgb box in a field of black, then the card kicks in again but the display for max is gone...it's bizarre. I have a single 24" monitor so that may have something to do with it also.
                      mh

Comment

problem solved...new machine came with old display drivers...downloaded new one and all is fine so far.
                        mh

Comment

Working...
                        X