Exr Importer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Answer to the original question:
    There isn't yet I believe. The easiest way is to either render the layers to separate files (or to a vrimg file and split it up with the vrimg2exr utility), or just buy Pro EXR. Really. It's worth it.

As for the LWF thing, EXR files do indeed work in linear space. Meaning if you render out a LWF image without burning in the 2.2 gamma correction, save it to EXR and open it in Photoshop, then Photoshop will automatically interpret the file as being in sRGB space. Other then that there's not that much difference with the format unless you buy the better import plugin.

Comment

M_hinks, technical stuff is one thing, what you see is another one. The whole LWF, or any other workflow is just an aid, a tool that you use, and the important word here is use. Understand that it won't make your work any better by itself. Workflows are only tools to help you control your work better. In the end, the final output is all that is matters. An image, an animation, or anything your eye and brain can see. In the end, it is quite unimportant how you've got there.

I've been working in LWF before it became a popular topic everywhere without even knowing I was working in lwf, and I'm pretty sure many others have been too. But right now, everyone talks about it like it was a final and redeeming discovery for all of the CGkind. But you've guessed it, it is not. It's just a tool. And if I don't like the end result, I will put a curves on it, I will adjust levels, I will paint a little shadow over there, I will add a bloom, color correction, separate greens, and will do everything, to get an image I like. Sometimes it is the same that came out of the renderer, sometimes not even close. And I think this is how it should be. After all, You are the creator.

Forgive me if I was insulting, distracting, or anything like that. The OP question was answered by the way, so I hope this was not so off topic.

Use whatever tool that fits in your hand, and use it well. I think that is all.

best regards,

A.
      credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Well i'd consider LWF rather a technique then a tool :P Anyways there are reasons for us (wich doesnt mean these have to apply for everyone) that make lwf an indespensable technique in our pipeline. We're linear all the way from rendering through post. sRGB is applied as a LUT only throughout the process and for final output if required (wich it usually is heh). Sadly the support for EXR is still not as good as it should be. It is THE Format out there, yet it is ignored by a lot of developers. The few that support it support it in stupid ways. Partly for no reason and partly cause their architecture seems to forbid proper support of EXRs.

So far the only publicly available tool that really supports EXR is nuke. And it's great at that and not only that. We DO a lot of post on the lwf rendered images, shure..doesnt make LWF any less important or useful for us.
        Fusion CAN read EXR Layers, but guess what ? only 1x RGBA per FileIn if i am not mistaken, PS is horrible at reading EXRs (as with many other formats btw :P ). Shake is pretty weird with them too and it's not going to change now anymore either.

Regarding Linearity of EXRs. Well yes EXRs are supposed to be stored in a linear fashion. Yet the Format itself couldnt care less WHAT colour values you store. And as it allows for metadata and custom data layers it's a breeze to use any Colorspace you want to. Besides it is closely related with CTL wich can take care of LUTs in a pretty flexible fashion.

Just my two cents

Regards,
        Thorsten

Comment

Thanks Aldaryn, and instinct. Very concise and clear.

I agree 100%, the technique is irrelivent in the final image/ani, just the final look and realism. I would personnelly consider a LWF as generating renders quicker and more accurately to real life. We are building are workflow around it as instinct has.

Also, about ProExr, I am in discussion with the developer of the plug in regarding the correct use of it to keep the elements comp but work in 16 or 8 bit not 32, as PS hates 32 bit!! Ill keep you posted.

I wonder, having not used Nuke, can it be used on the same why as ps for 2d images, ie putting in trees, peeps etc?

Comment

Well it is not the typical still image app. Putting in Trees and such wouldnt be a problem (actually it would be pretty nice as you could export your max camera and place trees on planes in 2.5D right within nuke like this :

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunnel_Shot_A_0007.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	841456
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Tunnel_Shot_A_0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	841457

But it is not really the tool of choice if you have to paint a lot. On the other Hand it imports the multilayered EXRs out of VRay as one single input node and provides all embedded channels in a very convenient way.

In the end i am not sure how suitable nuke would be for somebody coming from a pure PS background.

Kind Regards,
            Thorsten

Comment

Thanks Thorsten, Im not sure it will be the best sollution of stills, but v interesting program.

Comment

When I open the exr in Photoshop, its washed out. I am using LWF and am hesitant to start messing around with settings especially when I have a solid workflow between Vray and Photoshop.

Does anyone know solution ?
                www.morphic.tv
                www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

you just need to apply an inverse gamma of .454 and youll be all set.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I'm really exposing myself here for idiocy but - do I apply the inverse gamma in the Color Mapping rollout or in Photoshop ?
                    www.morphic.tv
                    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Just put an exposure adjustment layer on top of your layer list (or where you prefer) that way you can change values later on, and it even gives you the cheap illusion that you're working with a serious application.

best regards,

A.
                      credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Working...
                      X