Vray and Onyx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paulison View Post
    thats a bit harsh. these people just want to make a living like the rest of us.

Ok, their soft is grate and I wouldn't mind if they don't want't to support their softwre. But BE HONEST with your costumers. If they put on their website "contact support" it means that they offer help! They shopuld just write "you bought our product now f%$# off". I prefer when peopel are honest with me and not sell me something and promise that in case of problems I can get in touch with them to solve it and then doesn't respond to my e-mails at all!!! I wouldn't even mind if they write back anything. again f%&$ off we can't help you would be more understanding than no repsonse at all.

BTW this is why I love Vlado! He always responds
    Last edited by lukx; 18-12-2007, 01:17 AM.
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

... plugin works great over here. worth the money ??? Yes of course. works fine with vray and even better with mr and cutout maps ...

max 2008 64 BIT
      XP 64
      QuadCore QX6700
      8GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by Aldaryn View Post
        Strange, never seen that before, but are you converting from the treestorm object directly, or from a pre collapsed mesh. I had some other problems when converting from the plugin directly, so it' best to output from a normal mesh or poly object.

best regards,

A.
        I save a tree from onyx as a 3ds file, then import in max, collapse, attached all into one object and create a vray proxy mesh.
        I first thought that it's something to do with screwed up pivots and bounding boxes so I tried resetting by XForm but nothing helped.
        Funny thing is that it doesn't affect all Onyx trees, just some of them

Regards

Zoran

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
          Ok, their soft is grate and I wouldn't mind if they don't want't to support their softwre. But BE HONEST with your costumers. If they put on their website "contact support" it means that they offer help! They shopuld just write "you bought our product now f%$# off". I prefer when peopel are honest with me and not sell me something and promise that in case of problems I can get in touch with them to solve it and then doesn't respond to my e-mails at all!!! I wouldn't even mind if they write back anything. again f%&$ off we can't help you would be more understanding than no repsonse at all.

BTW this is why I love Vlado! He always responds
          what problems were you having and how did you try to contact them? i've called 3 or 4 times before and each time Pjer pick up the phone.
          Brian Smith
          www.3dats.com
          3D Architectural Training Solutions

Comment

using onyx in max without the plugin cost you more time. with the plugin, you can simply open the onyx file, optimize the geometry settings, tell it you want to use UV settings, map image maps on the leaves, etc.. quickly. then convert it to a proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by brian451 View Post
              what problems were you having and how did you try to contact them? i've called 3 or 4 times before and each time Pjer pick up the phone.
              Problems like everyone else, totally messed up stability under 3dsmax x64.
              I was contacting them in 21 century way :e-mail
              Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
                Problems like everyone else, totally messed up stability under 3dsmax x64.
                I was contacting them in 21 century way :e-mail
                good to know...and just another reason i dont plan to go 64 bit anytime soon. did you get it worked out?
                Brian Smith
                www.3dats.com
                3D Architectural Training Solutions

Comment

I think lukx is being a bit harsh. They've responded to my emails almost immediately. And the program works just fine on my x64 machine. Perhaps a bit of politeness might help? Just a thought.

Craig

Comment

i have to agree with lukx...i have had onyx trees for years and the support is much less than desireable...compounded by what appears to be that they don't write their own max software plugin, they have someone else do it. It still has problems and i have just worked around them. The software will only get you so far then you have to take it from there to make a really realistic tree/bush etc.
                    Having said that i did invest in the garden suite and i do use it. I am like others on the forum that take the mesh it generates and collapse it and then modify it from there. I NEVER leave them as onyx trees. That's asking for trouble.
                    And while i have gotten used to the UI of onyx stuff...i have never stopped hating it. It is like it is written by people in the DOS era.
                    mh

Comment

isn't it the same for most software though? nothing is perfect so you just have to find workarounds.

When you are really desperate to have some nice trees in your scene and cant find anything better that is geometry based i think (well in my case anyway) that Onyxtree was a great solution. Generally i think opening the trees through the plugin, assigning UVmapping and then converting to a mesh before craating the proxy works the best but i've also had success with the 3DS import way as well. Guess others just haven't been so lucky

In the 64 bit version of Max, can you make the proxies from a blank scene first or does it crash before you can even place one tree?. we will be moving to 64 bit max/vray soon so this is a big issue for us!

I find the issues comparable to vray. Whenever we used to have problems and couldnt figure it out, the best solution was to get on this forum and find the answers ourselves or refer to help/manual

Comment

I've had no problems with onyx. I only have the program that creates them outside of max, and it's been great, even for making custom trees/bushes...
                        Support? Well, maybe it's my limited needs for a tree creator, but I only ever had to contact them once, and that was just asking them questions prior to purchase. I purchased it online and their response was almost immediate.
                        I've been using it from Max7 up to Max9 x64 only experience the odd pivot point thing after converting to vrayproxy. But, I just re-align it manually, no prob...

Comment

paulison:
                          http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...highlight=onyx
                          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                          nuno@ene-digital.com
                          00351 917593145

Comment

Originally posted by 3ddesign View Post
                            I think lukx is being a bit harsh. They've responded to my emails almost immediately. And the program works just fine on my x64 machine. Perhaps a bit of politeness might help? Just a thought.

Craig
                            lucky you. btw did you read my e-mail to them to assume that I was not polite?
                            or you have problem with me telling my opinons on public forum?
                            Luke Szeflinski

Comment

Why so harsh lukx ? I gotta agree with 3ddesign that comments like these :

you can always try to send onyx support e-mail but I guess they're on the way to woodstock so might not respond
                              arent exactly polite nor helpful. No Problem with opinions about Onyx for me...but insulting them for their haircuts is a tad off in my eyes...

Regards,
                              Thorsten

Comment

well i'm also considering to purchase a tree generator and after seeing this i'm totaly blown away by the quality the onyx trees deliver.
                                so for me it's clear.

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/...ad.php?t=63778

greez
                                ale

www.indivizuals.ch

Comment

Working...
                                X