Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rendering multiple layers of trees to seperate layers effeciently.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rendering multiple layers of trees to seperate layers effeciently.

so i am trying to brainstorm a solution, or at least a effecient way to solve a problem, i don't think there will be an easy way. i have been working on a project that will soon result in a lot of images. probably in the neighborhood of 40. these will be hybrid images employing a watercolor/sketch style of processing. there are a lot of trees on the site, and 5 main buildings. the trees will need to be faded to show the building. i am trying to think of a good way to set this up to minimize the work flow, since the process will need to be repeated so many times, and probably a couple of times for each image as they change and develop.

i felt i didn't want to simply render 2 images and fade or airbrush fade the top one. i felt this would not give the effect i want, it wouldn't provide the kind of visual layers that i am interested in creating for this series of images.

i should also mention that it would be nice to set up a photoshop file that exist through out the entire course of the project. a file that has trees and shadows on the top layers, and i can simply place the image on the lower layers. basically, i wanted to make the file sustainable in the sense that it could be re-used, and reduce the amount of work needed during changes.

my first attempt at a solution took care of the problem above. using 3dsmax and vray i rendered a diffuse pass for the trees, and a shadow pass for their shadows. i did this for about 5 images. it works for what it wass set up for. i render my file with no trees or tree shadows, drop it into the photoshop file, and wa-la. ....the file has fully rendered trees and shadow that are faded and airbrushed to reveal the building behind. i didn't try and conquer the reflection layer, because the purpose of this is to provide a living document, and the glazing and fenestration areas were changing with each iteration of the project.

the problem with the above solution, while effecient, it provides minimal amount more visual depth than simply rendering 2 images, one without trees, and one with, and fading the top layer. because the shadows are separate, you have more control, but that is about it.

now i want to take it to the next level. i don't want all the trees to fade at the same intensity, or in the same way. i want about 3 or 4 layers of trees on different levels, which i can fade in a more stylized fashion.

so, i am looking for more input on potential solutions to the problem above. i want to create a streamlined method that i can incorporate into my workflow.

thoughts?

...i should also mention that i would like to have the entire set of trees on each layer, even stuff that would be hidden by the layer above it. otherwise material id would be a good starting point.

If you render the trees separately, just add a Z and render ID channel to that pass, and use those to mask how the trees fade. With Z you will have a global and smooth control, and with the render ID and some careful leveling, and shifting, you will have a decent randomness control, so you can experiment which one you prefer.

record the whole fade-mask-creating process into a nice action, and you can get away with still one layer and just several additional file opens in your workflow.

Best regards,

A.
    credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Working...
    X