Underwater lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwater lights

Time to time I come across this simple looking task: illuminate some fluids with light sources placed inside it. Pools by night, flooded caverns, fountain in a plaza, et cetera... I think you know pretty much what I mean.

What do you think? Can I reproduce this effect with the tools currently available in VRay? I know, this would require volumetric shading to model properly, but maybe the newly added scattering models in the VRayMtl can be tweaked enough to give some decent results. Also, the camera always stays outside of the fluid.

I'm still experimenting, but with not much luck.

Best regards,

A.

(P.S.: Usually, I use MAX's volume light to mimic the effect, but since it has no hdr output, well, it's a real pain in the ass to work with... or for even more self torment, I set up the volumetric part in MR, and composite it on the VRay rendering...)
    Attached Files
    credit for avatar goes here

Ive done this with rendering them in scanline/compositing and a lot of photoshop editing and colour correction before, but if its for an animation you'll need to hit up combustion/fusion and spend a fair bit of time.

I'd quite like to have a go at doing this/hearing how to do it properly myself, it was on my list of things to try during the last quiet bit but I didnt have time in the end.

Comment

Working...
    X