Best os for render farm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best os for render farm?

I have 4 dell 1u servers with no OS and was wondering If I should use xp 64?

im guessing xp pro64 is the best for the render nodes however i think it still has the 10 computer limit that normal xp pro has and you might want a different OS for the server

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

....and the cpu's have to support EMT64 for XPpro x64.... go to

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums

DELL only support (officialy) windows server or linux in their rack machines... but we have 6 rendernodes in XPpro x64 (1U server machines..) some drivers for the hardware don't come with Windows XP... only Windows Server... but with some workaround..
      Nicolau Pais www.id3d.pt

My current hardware setup: HP Z820 32-Core Dual E5-2670 128GB RAM - NVIDIA® Quadro K5000

Comment

my 3 year old boxx dual (single core) opteron is running on winxp64 and its been sweeeeeet. most solid machine ive ever had and the OS never blue screened and i dont believe ive ever had an error message or a crash on it

---------------------------------------------------
        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

been running xp64 for 3 years now on all my machines, best os ever.

also found that for some rare and special items you cant find drivers for (like 200 yr old printers) that you might find a vista 64 driver that will work anyway!
          WerT
          www.dvstudios.com.au

Comment

While I do think XP64 is more stable and I haven't had any problems with it, I find the support for hardware rather disappointing.
            If you're just using it for rendering etc it's ok, but I also use my system for other stuff. Our CAD application doesn't work on XP64 for instance. And I can't connect my Sony-Ericsson phone to it either because of lack of x64 drivers
            www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
            @home:
            / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
            / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
            @work:
            / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
            Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
            / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Working...
            X