Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Live chat....a possibility ?

Hi

Would it be possible for the chaosgroup website to host some kind of live chat that all vray owners can participate in ? or at least a link to a mirc channel that we can go to ? Would people be up for this..

Steve
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Second that, an irc chat would be nice.
    www.short-cuts.de

Comment

Should it be accessed and moderated properly, why not.
      Should it not be, heaven's forbid...
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

There's actually been an irc channel for awhile, but I dont recall what it is. I don't really frequent irc channels much anymore.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

#vray on efnet have been active for MANY years now.
          www.suurland.com
          www.cg-source.com
          www.hdri-locations.com

Comment

Efnet has the disadvantage that there arent any services available. I dont have a problem with it actually but it means you need to maintain bots wich is not always fun. But the chan is there and ppl visit it sooooo unless there's hordes and hordes of ppl all of sudden it might be troublesome, but as i doubt that i guess it's fine as is.

There are loads of different possibilities. I vouch AGAINST creating a private ircd. While it does have advantages (like beeing able to kline and alike) It always draws a lot of scriptkiddies (been there, seen it, payed b/w and re-installed :P ). In addition bigger networks provide linked servers around the world, so availability is usually better (besides riding the netsplit of course ) So if changing it at all i'd vouch for a
            network like freenode that offers channel and nick services. If everyone thinks there is a priv network needed i could still be of help in setting it up, providing the infrastructure or whatever.

Kind Regards,
            Thorsten

Comment

why irc?

If the chaosgroup server is powerfull enough we can think about an ajax chat, which is running inside the messageboard.

I wrote such a chatsystem some month ago to have a look if it is really working .. and it did: http://www.interpolation.at/fluc/chat/ ..please, don't abuse this test enviroment!

It's a one folder application and i have no problem if peter or vlado want to have it to send it over to them ..but it would need still some work to make it bulletproof in the wild :-/
              www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

Cause IRC is a standard for one. So the user can decide himself how to access it. I dislike browserbased chats for example. I prefer beeing able to have a client app for both performance and convenience. That's just me tho. There are webbased frontends to irc too. It's a proven and VERY powerful evolved protocol. Why re-invent the wheel ?

Kind regards,
                Thorsten

Comment

Ok, this is good stuff. Im thinking also that the forums are primarily there to help users solve problems. If the chat is undocumented it wont help others in the future. So im thinking maybe some kind of chat history can be uploaded with maybe featured chats linked from the forum. Ones where other users can follow the progression of a conversation between various vray users and hopefully learn something from it. What do you think.. ?

I think an irc channel/chat application for registered vray users would be a good idea. That way, it would stop all those "scriptkiddies".
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

That wasnt actually what i meant. I meant that IRC servers in general attract them so outsourcing is not a too bad idea usually. As for public logs that's something that can be done rather easily, both serverside and using an external bot, but that would need to be documented and made known as secretly logging other users' conversation isnt really good practice (see the recent irseek controversion)

Kind Regards,
                    Thorsten

Comment

Yeah. I guess a simple disclaimer statement could be shown before people enter the conversation, or as they enter the channel.
                      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i like the idea, i tried vray on EFnet a few months ago. but i found this very silent. there were a couple of users but none of them were active. but when i see the online stats of the forum their should be a way to have an interactive chat with enough people to help each other out.

Also i think couple of admin thats can pick the handy stuff and post it somewhere is an good idea. that will give a FAQ fast. and when it stays active it'll be a helpfull place for laods of people.
                        My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Rest assured that there will most likely be no more visitors in a different channel/chatsystem. The irc chan has been mentioned more then once. There was a chat window on frappr for the VRay Map that got attention like one day or so heh. So changing the place to chat wont make the ppl go there i guess.

Kind Regards,
                          Thorsten

Comment

Since I'm already on efnet I wouldn't mind going to #vray... In fact, I think I'll add that to my perform list right now

I'm up for an IRC chat!
                            www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                            @home:
                            / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                            / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                            @work:
                            / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                            Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                            / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Excuse my ignorance...what is efnet ?
                              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Working...
                              X