Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supermicro X7DWA-N & intel passive heatsink fitting ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supermicro X7DWA-N & intel passive heatsink fitting ???

Ok. I ended up buying a supermicro X7DWA-N and 2 xeon 5355's (2.67ghz - 8mb cache)....with passive heatsink.

So if anyone can help me...I cannot attach the supplied heatsink to the motherboard. The rentention bracket has holes in in where the heatsink screws are supposed to go through but they are too wide. The screws cannot screw into anything. Am I missing something ?

Also, I have a large tower case. The tech support guy at scan told me as long as there was a good airflow through the case I should be okay. Im just a bit concerned about using passive heatsinks on any cpu.

Any advice is appreciated

Steve
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

I can't answer your question, but I swear I give up on trying to keep these forum threads in their proper place. This doesn't even come close to belonging in the general forum, and I seem to remember having to tell you this more then once.

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I looked at the forum descriptions and it didnt say anything about being vray specific. It just said general topics. I also dont appreciate someone speaking to me like a kid. Ive looked at a number of topics and there are quite a few that arent vray specific. Business people for instance..what has that got to to with vray ???
      Last edited by stevesideas; 19-01-2008, 05:34 AM.
      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by steveiouk View Post
        I looked at the forum descriptions and it didnt say anything about being vray specific. It just said general topics. I also dont appreciate someone speaking to me like a kid. Ive looked at a number of topics and there are quite a few that arent vray specific. Business people for instance..what has that got to to with vray ???
        I can't help neither but next time post in V-Ray::Take 5/Off topic.

Best regards...
        Last edited by stilgarna; 19-01-2008, 07:13 AM.
        My Flickr

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far. Can anyone help me out with the motherboard issue ?
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

i can't but some images of the real thing might shed some light over ur problem...me thinks

...and it s no argument wether other have been posting in the wrong places is it?percy is just trying to keep some organization, and we should aprecitate!
            organization and chaos...well maybe it s just impossible anyway!
            Last edited by ene.xis; 19-01-2008, 07:29 AM.
            Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
            nuno@ene-digital.com
            00351 917593145

Comment

I do appreciate the time people take to sort these forums etc...i really appreciate the forums, a lot of very helpful people. I also like being spoken to with a bit of respect. I guess maybe I may have misread the tone from his message. I apologise if I did.

I will post up some images in a bit. Cheers
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Im not trying to jump on you stevie, but really you are guilty of this. Please think of the vray forum as a forum for the developers of their software to help their users with their questions and concerns. Its here to further their business. That they even included an off topic section of the forum, shows how considerate they are. Lets not take advantage of that (either purposefully or accidently) and muddle up their forums.

Just to make things clear: If a question can't be specifically tied to vray, then it doesn't belong in the general topic. I mean what did you think the off topic forum was for if it wasn't for motherboard questions and the like?

Anyways, I'm done being mr. anal retentive

"Sometimes life leaves a hundred dollar bill on your dresser, and you don't realize until later that it's because it fu**ed you."

Comment

I'll make sure im extra careful where to put my topics in future
                  Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

well right now u should be taking care of the heatsink place rather than ur next topic!
                    Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                    nuno@ene-digital.com
                    00351 917593145

Comment

I cant move this post...ive looked in edit.
                      Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Here are some pics.

The diameter on these holes is way too big for the screws to screw into. They simply pass through the holes.

Any help is really appreciated
                        Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

no other tiny parts in the heatsink box?
                          Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                          nuno@ene-digital.com
                          00351 917593145

Comment

Nope, not a sausage. Just the cpu and the heatsink. No other screws or anything.
                            Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

mighty strange!
                              i d guess there shoud be something missing...
                              Nuno de Castro

www.ene-digital.com
                              nuno@ene-digital.com
                              00351 917593145

Comment

Working...
                              X