Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any good info on vray sun / sky?

hey folks,
    our studio has recently upgraded to 1.5 and i am now interested in learning a bit more about the benefits of using the vray sun / sky feature. i have read the vray online documentation, which covers the basic parameters, but it doesn't really provide any convincing reasons to USE these features. i have been using vray lights and hdri maps to generate pretty realistic daylighting scenarios up till now.

my biggest question is what are people using for environment reflection / refraction? i understand that the sun / sky / physical camera system produces realistic lighting results, but what about generating a realistic background environment? and what if you wanted to produce the lighting effect of a partly cloudy day? it seems to me that with a good hdri library you would actually have better control over the environmental parameters.

i was also wondering what type of color mapping would be most appropriate if you are rendering with a physical camera? shouldn't the camera settings override any other exposure control? and what if you want to do test renders from a perspective viewport, not through a physical camera? is there anyway to prevent the massive over exposure?

what about mixing hdri environment maps with vray sun? is this why there is now a "render" multiplier, since you have to crank it so high to have any effect when using a physical camera?

i'm sure a lot of these questions have already been asked, and i'm just showing up late. if anyone could point me to some informative threads, that would be much appreciated. thanks!

Well for what we use here:

as for environment and reflection we can do two things. use 3d models and 3d trees behind the camera wich would reflect. of we use a plane with an image for reflection.

for colormapping we generaly use linear, sometimes we use reinhard if we have some burn problems.

for hdri i have read there are some problems cause you need to crank them up. but i'm not sure about this
    My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

thanks - we have also used those techniques on occasion for environment. can work well if you have good models or good imagery.

i'm really wondering about the test renders from non-camera viewports though? a lot of times we need to check materials and model details, but from what i can determine, if you aren't rendering through the physical camera, you end up with nuclear blowout results. am i missing something?

Comment

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=36359
        Lele
        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
        ----------------------
        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

thank you - i will definitely watch these!

Comment

Working...
          X