new workstation website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new workstation website

I am getting our IT guy to spec out a couple of new computers for server nodes. What is a good website for me to go to and spec out something. I mean...I can go to dell and spec out a Dual Quad X5355, 8gigs, fx 1700, 64 os, 500gb HD for about $4500. This will be equal to what I have. But do I need that? Could I go with dual 5410 and if so, what is the difference between the X5355 and a E5420...What is the X and E? I mean the 5405 prices out at 3400, and that should be faster than my 5355 right? Thanx
    Eric Camper
    Studio 3D
    www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

If it's just going to be a rendering server, you won't need much in the way of a graphics card.

Comment

For workstations: www.armari.co.uk

For render nodes: www.pixelution.co.uk
      "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Sweet....What do you guys think bang for buck is the BEST way to go?
        Eric Camper
        Studio 3D
        www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

For render nodes, this:

http://www.pixelution.co.uk/Products...rackmount.html

I bought one last FY, and its a rocket - 16 cores,: 2 nodes (in one - hence the "twin" designation) with 8 cores each. I am budgeting to buy another one in May.

I got a quote recently from the distributor:

One off Pixbox 1U Twin unit with
          4 x 5430 2.66 GHz quad core processors
          16 GB 667MHz DDR2 RAM (8 GB per side)
          4 x 250 GB SATA disks (2 per side)
          Rails
          No operating system.
          Price : £3,195 + VAT
          As above with 32 GB RAM (16 GB per side) : £3,795 + VAT
          As above with 5450 3.0 GHz processors + 8 GB per side : £4,425 + VAT

As above with 5450 3.0 GHz processors + 16 GB per side : £4,995 + VAT

Basically, I can get the 2.66 Ghz cores and 16 Gb RAM at less than £4K. I paid over £5k for the same spec last year but with only 4 GB RAM. With light cache animations in XP64, I definitely need 16 Gb.

Its a Supermicro kit (I've heard Intel does one too), and I'm sure you can find a distributor in the US... and probably pick it up for cheaper than here.

BTW, I would avoid having IT spec out your machines. Unless they work closely with you, they don't know what specs are needed for work in our industry. And one thing I discovered recently... entry-level IT often have no hardware experience! I'm an (ex-) architect and I've built more computers than any of our IT guys.
          Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 06-02-2008, 02:30 AM.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I love Armari, great machines,great staff, and very flexible on system specs n'stuff.

You can tell them waht you want and they will build it, even if it is not listed on the system configuration page.

For render nodes on board graphics is fine as these dudes only render.

I would say Clifton is pointing you in the right direction, especially regarding IT drones.

Comment

Just did a quick comparison to a like for like Mac Pro and the Apple works out £300 pounds cheaper than the Armari.
              (dual 3.2ghz xeons, 8gb ram, etc etc)

Comment

Clifton.....WOW...Yeah.>>i just got the same quote...They were very friendly and gave me all kinds of advice. I too have built a lot of computers...but back in the day and never formally trained. Our It guy is one of my best friends and he works pretty closely with me...But I AM giving him the data that bascially you give me. He would be the first person to say...He would rather buy then build. It's not that much more and headaches and the TIME isnt worth the trouble. That machine there is bascially TWO of mine and basing everything on the benchmarks it looks kickass. Thanx all. Hopefully I can pass this through
                Eric Camper
                Studio 3D
                www.dbfinc.com/studio3d

Comment

nevermind, wish we could delete posts these days...
                  Last edited by RErender; 06-02-2008, 07:58 AM.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

Working...
                  X