No announcement yet.

Autodesk announces 2 versions of Max 2009

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Vray user, there seems no difference to me between the products at this time, except the SDK which I will not need myself.

This is what concerns me about jacksc02 comment!

Comment

Originally posted by Shimakaze View Post
      Damn it I have to choose?? Hows that gonna work for subscribers anyway?
      So the Design version is identical to the "normal" version except it includes an SDK and the exposure thingy? (neither of which is of any use to me)
      Those on subscription get Both flavors of Max 3ds Max 2009 and 3ds Max Design 2009. However, you can't install both versions side by side.. yet. If you have 3ds Max Design 2009 installed, but you need access to the SDK, you need to uninstall it and install 3ds Max 2009.

Thox

Comment

Originally posted by Thox View Post
        Those on subscription get Both flavors of Max 3ds Max 2009 and 3ds Max Design 2009. However, you can't install both versions side by side.. yet. If you have 3ds Max Design 2009 installed, but you need access to the SDK, you need to uninstall it and install 3ds Max 2009.

Thox
        Actually those on subscription can cross-grade. And if you have Design then you can ge the SDK by enrolling in the ADN (Autodesk Developer Network). I doubt you will ever be able to install them side by side, but I love to be wrong! Anyway, since essentially they are the same programs you shouldn't really need them both!

Josh.
        www.minmud.co.uk

Comment

Vlado, you say Vray will have an equivalent lighting analysis tool. Will the USGBC accept it's output for LEED Building accreditation?
          Greg Geffert
          Spectrum Brands
          www.greggeffert.com

Comment

Do you think they will have fixed the Max 2008 bugs in 2009?... Considering they still have spline bugs remaining from Max 8, probably not...
            "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Originally posted by J_man View Post
              Actually those on subscription can cross-grade. And if you have Design then you can ge the SDK by enrolling in the ADN (Autodesk Developer Network). I doubt you will ever be able to install them side by side, but I love to be wrong! Anyway, since essentially they are the same programs you shouldn't really need them both!

Josh.
              No, what he's saying is correct - you can't have both versions installed on the same computer.

If you're on subscription, yes you can switch back and forth between the two, but you have to uninstall one version, then install the other version, then when you switch back you have to do the same.

Comment

this is a quote by Ken Pimentel from autodesk:

Reveal represents several things. 1) It is a rewrite of our mental ray translation code so that it now caches objects. This means that we now have a choice between rendering the entire scene and only rendering elements of the scene (something we didn't have before). This alone can accelerate rendering by 10X for incremental changes where the translation time is large relative to the rendering. 2) Region, selection rendering. We introduced region rendering into the VFB and the region box is seen in the viewport. I think you all know what region rendering is. Also, selected objects can be rerendered independently for fast tweaks. Rerendering is automatic on changes. 3) We redid the VFB to better support iteration, this involves moving a bunch of the most important controls to the VFB.

There might be more, this is just off my non-technical head. We wanted to do even more but six months got in the way of our aspirations. Yes, this is just mental ray, but I don't think we restrict others from taking advantage of it.

sounds interesting, to say the least...i hope it will be possible for vray to plug into it...

full thread here:
                http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthre...&page=14&pp=15
                Marc Lorenz
                ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                www.marclorenz.com
                www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

V-Ray works fine with the new iterative mode. Note however that the iterative mode does not imply automatic re-rendering of changes like with ActiveShade - not sure where that one came from.

We do not have the cached objects thing, but on the other hand, we are working on an interactive rendering system that is way beyond what you get in 2009 and is a lot closer to ActiveShade where changes are completely automatic and progressive refinement is used to continually improve the quality of the preview. I hope that by the time 3ds Max 2009 is out you will be able to see the first results

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  Last edited by vlado; 13-02-2008, 12:07 PM.
                  I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Good to Know

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    We do not have the cached objects thing, but on the other hand, we are working on an interactive rendering system that is way beyond what you get in 2009 and is a lot closer to ActiveShade where changes are completely automatic and progressive refinement is used to continually improve the quality of the preview. I hope that by the time 3ds Max 2009 is out you will be able to see the first results
                    can't wait

davis
                    Last edited by claude_tnt; 13-02-2008, 02:01 PM.
                    Originally posted by 3DMK
                    do I want to be a rich business man or a poor artist?

caddworkx

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                      I think I just wet myself...
                      www.artbyarjan.com - Online portfolio (temporarily offline)
                      @home:
                      / AMD Phenom X4 @ 3.00Ghz / ATI HD 4890 / 8Gb Ram /
                      / Vista Ultimate x64 / Max 2010 / Vray 1.5 SP3a Edu /
                      @work:
                      / Intel Core2Quad Q9450 @ 2.66Ghz /
                      Nvidia Quadro FX 3700 / 8Gb Ram /
                      / Vista Bussines x64 /

Comment

Originally posted by tvc15 View Post
                        Vlado, you say Vray will have an equivalent lighting analysis tool. Will the USGBC accept it's output for LEED Building accreditation?
                        I doubt this; LEED accreditation requires a very rigid pre-approved workflow in terms of setting up the lights and materials in the scene so as to be representative of the final result. Currently V-Ray does not force this workflow, although if you do have an accurate set up, V-Ray will give you accurate results.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        Last edited by vlado; 14-02-2008, 12:33 AM.
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

with all the new versions of max coming out each year , with new "functions and bug additions" not even justifying the subscription fees, its about time we all see a vray standalone and say good bye to Autodesk, which is behaving like money grabbing greedy monopoly....yuck...it makes me wanna throuw up...if only there was some backwards compatibility...cant even imagine in 2-3 years time i wont be even able to to buy any max file off the net as it will all be 2010 and 2011 releases and thus forcing me to upgrade anyway....this is really sad

i mean i am very happy with the functions in max 9, and it serves my needs, but this way i will be sooner or later forced into an upgrade ((((
                          Martin
                          http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

bloody hell i only just installed max 2008 around our office! (waited to see if there were any bug horror-stories)
                            http://www.glass-canvas.co.uk

Comment

No kidding. Same here.
                              "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

I was just about to post and Active Shade wish list item...nice to hear
                                Cheers
                                Mike K
                                Two heads are better than one ...
                                ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

Working...
                                X