Proxy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proxy

When I convert an element into a v-ray proxy the pivot point gets moved. How do I move the pivot point back to the proper place? I have been going to MAX's pivot, but it is hard to see were the exact bottom of something is will it is a proxy. Any easy solution?
    Bobby Parker
    www.bobby-parker.com
    e-mail: info@bobby-parker.com
    phone: 2188206812

My current hardware setup:
    • Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
    • 128gb Vengeance RGB Pro RAM
    • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090
    • ​Windows 11 Pro

dont you place your objects in place before converting them to proxy ...
    why is it that you need to adjust their pivot? Just curious...
    Studio Max 2009 x64
    X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Proxy

I insert my tree, which has the pivot at the center base, then I convert the tree to a vrayproxy. I let v-ray create the proxy. The pivot get moved out in pace so usually I highlight all the proxies and center the pivot. I am using "glue" on a rough terrain, but the pivot is in the center of the tree, which is what the center pivot does, but I need the pivot to be in the center at the bottom. I have to go into each tree and move the pivot down. I hope this makes sense.
      Bobby Parker
      www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
      • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

We usually place the object in the origin (0,0,0 coords) before transforming it to proxy to avoid the pivot to get moved. Don't know if there is a better way for doing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Codi View Post
          We usually place the object in the origin (0,0,0 coords) before transforming it to proxy to avoid the pivot to get moved. Don't know if there is a better way for doing it.
          This is how we handle it as well.
          Ben Steinert
          pb2ae.com

Comment

I've noticed that when you create a proxy, the pivot point will be automatically placed at the origin (0,0,0 coords) irrespective of where you tree/object to be proxied is. So, yeah, placing your tree so that the bottom of the trunk is directly over 0,0,0 right before you create the proxy is the easiest way to get your pivot in the right spot the first time. Once it's already proxied, you can use this handy blur script to automatically place the pivot at any of 27 points on the object.
            http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/pivotplacer
            joel burbage
            strivestudios
            www.strive3d.com | www.joelburbage.com

Comment

It depends on which export method you choose (export single mesh or export multiple meshes). The first (single mesh) places the pivot at (0,0,0), the second (multiple meshes) uses the object pivot. This is valid even if you export just a single object.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Or just when u create proxy and pivot is moved to the 0.0.0 point , just select the proxy and do this as follow

works for me.

P.S. works for multiply proxy's selected

Bets regards:

Andro
                Attached Files
                Best regards,
                Andrian

Comment

But that way everytime you load the proxy (not merge it from a max file) the mesh will be "displaced" since the mesh itself is off from the origin in the proxy file, and it will be quite hard to replace the mesh if you need to do that. (for example, you notice later on, that you've forgot to apply mapping to some areas, etc...)

Just use the export multiple method. Or put the mesh in the origin of your max file.

Best regards,
                  A.
                  credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Originally posted by Aldaryn View Post
                    But that way everytime you load the proxy (not merge it from a max file) the mesh will be "displaced" since the mesh itself is off from the origin in the proxy file, and it will be quite hard to replace the mesh if you need to do that. (for example, you notice later on, that you've forgot to apply mapping to some areas, etc...)

Just use the export multiple method. Or put the mesh in the origin of your max file.

Best regards,
                    A.
                    never happend to me....

I use proxy a lot (like everyone), and this u just discribe not apear here..
                    Best regards,
                    Andrian

Comment

Then try it. Place something off max origin, export it as a proxy "as a single file" , next go to create/vray place an empty proxy object somewhere, and load the proxy file you've just created. You will see, that the mesh is displaced to the proxy creation center.

You can fix the "pivot issue" (although, it's not an issue, it's a feature of the exported geometry) by centering the max pivot, but having a displaced mesh in the proxy file can give you some hard time later. Better safe than sorry imo.

Best regards,
                      A.
                      credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Not really, all my scene is done by methond I have described, and so far I have no problaems at all, not a single. but I create proxys for every scene from scratch, never use a allready done proxy (merge in scene). maby this explain that I didnt face this problem so far.
                        Anyway thx for the TIP ill try to avoid.
                        Best regards,
                        Andrian

Comment

I think the best method has already been described by valdo ... it solved the
                          problem already.

cheers
                          Studio Max 2009 x64

Comment

Originally posted by flyinhawaiian View Post
                            I've noticed that when you create a proxy, the pivot point will be automatically placed at the origin (0,0,0 coords) irrespective of where you tree/object to be proxied is. So, yeah, placing your tree so that the bottom of the trunk is directly over 0,0,0 right before you create the proxy is the easiest way to get your pivot in the right spot the first time. Once it's already proxied, you can use this handy blur script to automatically place the pivot at any of 27 points on the object.
                            http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/pivotplacer
                            This script works for max 4.2 - 5 only.
                            Studio Max 2009 x64

Comment

Proxy

Originally posted by Codi View Post
                              I have been using this method and it works for me, thanks. I am using the glue script as well, which is wonderful!
                              Last edited by glorybound; 26-02-2008, 07:34 AM.
                              Bobby Parker
                              www.bobby-parker.com

• Ryzen 9 5900x CPU
                              • ​Windows 11 Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X