Animation settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation settings

I am using the animation mode to rendering a sequence. The prepass took just seconds and now the rendering time is taking at least 2x longer than it was when I tested a straight frame by frame rendering. Is this to be expected? I know there needs to be a period where vray merges each irr map frame.

Hmm.. that's strange. I wouldn't expect using saved maps to take 2x longer?!?

Were all the settings the same both ways?

Unless someone knows a common "mistake" that would cause this, we are probably going to need more information about your settings before wagering any guesses.

Comment

It finally finished. I think the only setting I changed was switching the mode from ani prepass to ani render. I used brute force as a secondary maybe that was it?

Comment

Ok here is something weird. I rendered the animation a few days ago. Its just a sun study pretty basic but because it has glowing rooms I thought a night shot would be a good place to start so its a 24 hour sun study with animated materials for the glow (starts @ 0 ends at 24 hrs). Then I adjusted the north direction and did the re-render this time caching the irrmaps using the animation mode.

What I ended up with was a "blue midnight" on the first take but black on the second.. All I did was change the compass rose. Here you can see frames 0 & 30 from the 2 different versions. The only keys that this scene has are the animated sun and the animated material. As you see in the first take the blue fades with the increase of the glow.

Last edited by Sawyer; 12-03-2008, 10:49 AM.

Comment

You've got some funky voodoo going on there!

Sometimes weird things happen, cause it sounds like the blue happend BEFORE you moved the sun.. not after? Hmm.. wierd. I would redo the maps and try again.
          Last edited by MikeHampton; 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM.

Comment

No I saved the prepass after moving the sun. So the calc'd maps had no changes to be rendered.

I am testing this now and it seems to hold true that using the animation setting and interpolating the irr maps for each frame frames just take a lot longer.

Single frame time:

No saved map: 1:21
            1 frame inter: 2:25
            2 frames interp: 3:46.

Comment

Yes, because it is interpolating the maps on each frame - takes time. So it is render time vs. IRR pre-caluc time... take your pick!

I'm experimenting with this animation setting again today.... I still don't like it, I think. Now with DR on animation - wouldn't just running a multiframe IRR be faster? Even with Nth frame on 1 for moving parts? Is the result with the IRR interpolation THAT much better? (Seriously, Valdo, I'm asking). What is the benefit of animation pass, really? The IRR maps calculated on different machines don't match, correct? So between the blocks of rendered frames it is really blending the IRRs? So technically instead of flickers we should be getting "waves"? And then if you turn up the interpolation frames - gets even slower....

But if you do IRR mutliframe with DR, you wouldn't have any of this blending "waves"? (better chances for flickering with low IRR setting - but faster and technically cleaner in the end?).

(Sry for the hijack sawyer - i've seen so many posts about this prepass thing.... actually i'm gonna repost this)
              www.studio2a.co

Comment

Im also seeing some major increase in render time with using the prepasa ans render settings. I think it is almost easier and quicker to put your IR settings really high and rende every frame, and hope for no flicker! I used the default of 2 frames interp, but I am going to try 1 and see.

Comment

Working...
                X