Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one render a still image to replace a 120 degree pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does one render a still image to replace a 120 degree pan?

Hi,
    i need some advise here. I am doing several interior shots of a mall and some of my shots are basically a camera panning across a couple of atriums. I have animated a camera and have sent out the sequences, where each frame takes around 15 minutes.

My question here is how do i replicate that in post by just rendering one large file and panning through the image in post?

the camera in question is a vray cam (still) : film gate=36, focal length=24, zoom=1, f=8, distortion=0, type=quadratic.
    the frame size is 720x480, i could easilly render a 15000x480 frame and do it in post, but the image gets squeezed and i loose out in the height of the image.

is there a way to render the extended image, without actually loosing out on the "frame composition"

i hope i have been able to explain the problem.
    Thanks
    Vivek

Just make a panorama. Either splice your frames together with CS3 photo merge, or render a spherical panorama. For the spherical panorama, just replace your camera with a regular max cam, and in vray camera rolllout, set the camera type to spherical, and change the FOV to 360, and render at 2:1 proportion. I usually do them at 4000x2000px. Then open the rendering in something like Pano2qtvr, and limit the range of motion to 120 degress, and save as a QTVR file.
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

Thanks Clifton,
      any way of doing this with the Vray cam....dont want to loose and re-work the lighting.
      Vivek

Comment

In that case, just use your animated frames, and stitch into a panorama.

Comment

I guess...i wasnt very clear....i dont want to render 750 frames at 20 minutes a frame to cover a 120 degree camera pan across a scene.
          Just want to be able to keep the height fixed and render a really long image that i can pan over in premiere.

Comment

Yes, that's why I suggested a panorama. Just render enough frames from the sequence so that the geometry overlaps, like every 75th frame, open them in photoshop CS3, go to File:Automate:Photomerge, and specify open files. It will take them all and stitch them seamlessly into a long panorama you can then pan over in premiere.

Or you could experiment with cylindrical panormas with 120 degree HFOV, but you would have to switch your camera to a max camera.

Comment

Thanks...i'll try the Hfov mode and re-work the color mapping

Comment

If you use the vray cam to make the panorama images be sure to uncheck "vignetting" to avoid the dark edges. photoshop could probably compensate for it but your best off avoiding it all together.
                www.dpict3d.com - "That's a very nice rendering, Dave. I think you've improved a great deal." - HAL9000... At least I have one fan.

Comment

I ran into this same issue and found this script

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/ca...der-calculator

Its an old one but still works. You may have to adjust the zoom a small bit to get the exact match but it is very very close. Basically you tell it the focal length and current size and then tell it the final output size and it gives you what the focal length would need to be. However there will be a bit of distortion involved if you get things that are very close to the camera.

Comment

Vlado et al:

Any chance of panoramic/spherical/cylindrical physcams in coming builds? I like having exposure control but miss making panoramas in one shot...

Comment

It is not impossible, but I'm trying to figure out a good way to do this. I suppose a modifier for a regular 3ds Max camera might do the trick.

Best regards,
                      Vlado
                      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

The modifier is an interesting proposition. Another thing I miss (and I bet I'm not alone) is simply rendering a perspective view. I have an extra PhysCam that I move around with Walkthrough and that works pretty well.

While experimenting, (this is total blasphemy) I actually tried rendering a Max camera using exposure control. Logarithmic actually came very close to getting good results on the interior shots I'm working on. But not all the way and I don't have time right now to experiment further.

Maybe exposure controls in the Camera rollout in the render dialog? Turn them on for standard cameras, off to let the physical cameras do their thing.

Comment

I second this request...would be a boon to be able to render out panoramic views without re-working out the lighting or exposures

Originally posted by jonahhawk View Post
                          Vlado et al:

Any chance of panoramic/spherical/cylindrical physcams in coming builds? I like having exposure control but miss making panoramas in one shot...

Comment

You could render "slices" and stitch them together with panotools.
                            www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

yes, i can render slices and put them together with all kinds of tools. But try doing that in a scene with moving people.

Comment

Working...
                              X