Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does one render a still image to replace a 120 degree pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My genius manager just suggested using the standard camera anyway and correcting the exposure in post. We render to exr, so this should work, right?

Set up the scene as I want with VRay Sun/Cam render to my liking.

Place a standard cam, render with whatever pano settings I want and correct in AE.

I'll let you all know how it turns out. I'll post images if I can get permission.

Comment

following on from this, if you wanted a 360 pan left to right, no verticals (and again, not a QTVR but done in AFX or similar) would the best way be to render out a series of images, say 8 frames across the timeline and then just stitch with Photoshop?

We've been messing around with the spherical camera but it's not what we are after in this instance.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Comment

You may find better results with the Cylindrical option in the VRay tab, Camera rollout. Just make your render dimensions appropriately proportioned and see what that brings you. What are your specific problems with the spherical image you are getting? Why no verticals?

The problem I was faced with was that I had moving people in the scene. I was not interested in trying to stitch animations together along with the backgrounds.

As it happened I rendered very wide angle shots from a PhysCam and it worked out well for our project.

The bigger issue for us was HD. We were to make a presentation on a 52in Plasma with people standing right close to it. we wanted as much detail and clarity as we could get. There was no way we could render 5 minutes (9000 frames) of HD images. It would have taken weeks on our farm and we have other projects running concurrently. As it was the frame times were 3-4hours for 4000x1080. But I only rendered about 30 images for the final. The people were silhouettes only and rendered in scanline, white against black for comping in AE.
        Last edited by jonahhawk; 18-04-2008, 12:29 PM.

Comment

thanks.
          It's not problems with the spherical cam option, just this isn't what we are after in this instance.
          A client has requested a full 360 rotation, but as one long flat image.
          We are looking at different technique for how to achieve this.

The more I think about it it's basically like setting up a pan & tile environment in Nuke, so the best options would probably be 8 renders at 45 degree increments and stitched together...

Comment

Originally posted by visions View Post
            Hi,
            i need some advise here. I am doing several interior shots of a mall and some of my shots are basically a camera panning across a couple of atriums. I have animated a camera and have sent out the sequences, where each frame takes around 15 minutes.

My question here is how do i replicate that in post by just rendering one large file and panning through the image in post?

the camera in question is a vray cam (still) : film gate=36, focal length=24, zoom=1, f=8, distortion=0, type=quadratic.
            the frame size is 720x480, i could easilly render a 15000x480 frame and do it in post, but the image gets squeezed and i loose out in the height of the image.

is there a way to render the extended image, without actually loosing out on the "frame composition"

i hope i have been able to explain the problem.
            Thanks
            Vivek
            http://www.digitalartform.com/archiv...int_pan_2.html
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

@ sv

I did a render from a control tower of an airport for just the same thing. the Cylindrical option worked for me. It keeps the verticals straight.

Comment

Working...
              X