Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vista sp1

anyone installed sp1 for vista 64 yet?
    just wondered if there were any issues before taking the plunge.

cheers!
    when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - hunter s. thompson

Don't do it!

Actually I haven't tried it yet either, but I haven't heard a single good thing about vista 64. I love XP 64 and will try and stay here as long as possible...

EDIT: Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. You've already switched to Vista. It works? Any problems with Max, Vray, or network rendering (DR or BB)?
    Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 25-03-2008, 06:44 AM.
    "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

euhm yeah, i also have read everywhere sp1 is not good, very slow and is causing loads of people allot of trouble.....
      I use the vista x64 on my comp home, runs very stable and fast. my thought is if it works then dont change
      My Homepage : http://www.pixelstudio.nl

Comment

Originally posted by Clifton Santiago View Post
        EDIT: Oh, sorry. I misunderstood. You've already switched to Vista. It works? Any problems with Max, Vray, or network rendering (DR or BB)?
        been using vista for a few months now and it's been pretty much fine although i haven't used DR...

only issue is having to run viz as administrator in order to get vray to work at all, although it's more of an annoyance than an issue.

Comment

Hi. Running Vista 64 for 3 months on 3 machines, installed Vista 64 SP1 a few days ago, using DR, absolutely no problem with MAX 2008 64 and VRAY 1.5 SP1.
          Jozef
          www.cad-vizualizacie.sk

Comment

Also here. I'm with 2 pc with Vista Ultimate SP1 x64 and all running fine, since one month ago.

Comment

Workstation with Vista x64 since 3-4 month here, MAX 7, CS2 suite, DR BB etc. No problem at all except that it doesn't support a 10 years old laser printer...

The only big issue is that OpenGL is not really supported (emulated trough Direct3D if I red well) but who does still use opengl in max anyway ?

SP integrates the cumulative updates, so no need to get it if you already have vista I think (and if you did let it make his updates)
              Philippe Steels
              Pixelab - Blog - Flickr

Comment

i installed sp1 for vista64, it solved some hardware issue with energy saving mode, otherwise i didn't notice a difference.
                max & vray still work, even DR with 32 bit nodes works.
                Marc Lorenz
                ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                www.marclorenz.com
                www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

would like to say i have SP1 installed, but for some stupid reason it doesnt offer SP1 patch in Windows Update ((((

have searched through all the possible forums, have gone through all the steps that i should have taken to make the update possible but still no joy

will have to reinstall the comp i think as ive been waiting for SP1 a long time...especially because of fixes in energy saving modes...

other than that, vista is running just fine, actually it lets me use more memory than XP....

this is a very usefull page that i use

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t1.html
                  Martin
                  http://www.pixelbox.cz

Comment

cool. cheers for all the responses. looks like it's a go-er then!

cheers!

Comment

Installed SP1 the other day, and everything still seems to work fine.

I have been using Vista x64 with max and VRay for half a year, and really I can't understand what all the complaining is about. Everything works fine, and I'm starting to prefer Vista over XP now that I'm used to the changes.
                      Torgeir Holm | www.netronfilm.com

Comment

the first time i saw vista (32) was on a way underpowered dell notebook. the aero fx lagged, the "user control" warnings drove me crazy and i hated the way it locked me out of everything, when i tried to get rid of the pre-installed useless dell stuff.
                        and it used up all of the 1gb memory, took minutes to boot, etc, etc....

i recently tried again with vista 32 & 64 on more powerful machines, with 4gb ram, a clean install, and i don't hate it anymore.
                        actually it runs pretty smooth. you can switch off the stupid warnings. some stuff rocks, like the shadow backups, the resource monitor, and yes, the start menu and UI is nicer too. i still don't like the mess with the virtual program folders and user folders, but i understand that it's important to prevent (most) people from doing stupid things with the system files.
                        Marc Lorenz
                        ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
                        www.marclorenz.com
                        www.facebook.com/marclorenzvisualization

Comment

We have had 2 vista 64 machines here for about 6 months, they are performing better than any of our others. I felt that a little tweaking was needed out of the box to get it to perform the way I wanted it to(I turned off superfetch to control RAM usage a little more predictably, changed user account settings to get rid of most of the nag boxes, and also disabled the aero interface).
                          Ben Steinert
                          pb2ae.com

Comment

Originally posted by egz View Post
                            I can't understand what all the complaining is about.
                            I dont with 3d/arty stuff, i was using it at home for ages.

But NEVER get vista if you like to make music on your pc. the second you try to get a bit creative with software/plugins or add hardware it'll bite you in the ass.

Comment

Got Vista 64 Ultimate for 8 months now and it's purrrrrring like a kitten!
                              No problems so far with MAX 2008 and Vray 1.5 SP1
                              Also switched off user account control. (No problems so far with Vista SP1)

OK so I have 2 hardware issues with HP stuff. My Scanjet 5200C doesnt work with Vista 32 or 64 so I wanted to get one of those all in one jobbies. Which brings me to the next problem. I was looking at some of the supposedly new HP Business officejets print, scan, copy and fax (sorry no coffee) and what amazed me on HP's website is that for this "new" piece of hardware there is a footnote that says "...may have limited functionality under Vista". I mean what the crap is that all about?
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

Working...
                              X