vrayphysicalcamera - vignetting wish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vrayphysicalcamera - vignetting wish

not sure if this has been asked already, can the vignetting be turned off as default in the upcoming SP2?

maybe i'm the only one who turns it off all the time? it lacks the control Lightroom/Camera RAW has so i do my vignetting there if at all on visualisation work.

then again, maybe it can be incorporated as a separate render element.......

I've found myself turning it off more and more as I work on more projects. If I need vignetting, I could always add it in post with greater control afterwards.

I suppose this request should be on the wishlist.
    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I don't agree... the vignette is actually a very useful thing in simulating a realistic camera.
      If you don't like it, why not using 3dsmax standard camera?

Comment

It's a feature of a physical camera, if it wasnt on by default then too many people wouldnt know about it or use it. And it's only one checkbox you need to click, which is right next to all your exposure settings that you'll be clicking on anyway.

I'd say it'd hinder more people than it'd help by making it off by default.

Comment

true, it is an effect of some physical camera lenses, but more often than not it's unintended and undesired. only sometimes is it purposely introduced for creative effect.

Comment

I would also prefer it was off by default
            Eric Boer
            Dev

Comment

Originally posted by nvanherpt View Post
              true, it is an effect of some physical camera lenses, but more often than not it's unintended and undesired. only sometimes is it purposely introduced for creative effect.
              Im being perdantic....

its actualy an effect on all lenses, but is usualy more pronouched at wide angle, large/wide apertures.....which kinda means that the effect that the vray camera produces is not phisical anyway, as the apertures settings seem to have no effect on it.

Also, if ever I need the effect Ill just add it in PS

so in that respect I also think it should also be turned off by default..if only to save me one click
              mdi-digital.com

Comment

The lens focal length and the f-number affect the vignetting, although in the case of the f-number you need to enable DOF to see this.

Best regards,
                Vlado
                I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                  The lens focal length and the f-number affect the vignetting, although in the case of the f-number you need to enable DOF to see this.

Best regards,
                  Vlado
                  really....cool!

Ill have to look into that, I (wrongly) assumed it was just an add on effect which Is why ill add it in PS if I need too.

Now that I know it is phisical....i think it should be kept on!
                  mdi-digital.com

Comment

Most professional photographers will actually remove vignetting found in their photos. One of the main reasons this has been introduced is to lend 3d images a bit more realism but in turn essentially amounts to a bad (or perhaps accurate) photograph.

Personally, I find the default values to be a bit on the strong side and often go back and forth in post.

As for using the physical camera - there's far more advantages that go well beyond the standard max camera. I'm not go into detail as to why I would use it over a max camera.

Either way, it's not a big deal to check a box. Two things I would like turned off by default are Vraylights set to invisible on creation and vignetting turned off by default.
                    LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                    HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                    Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

using maxstart.max, I create a camera and set it up to the default I love.
                      Then everytime max startup, the camera is already set. Don't even have
                      to tweak it.

Hope this helps
                      Studio Max 2009 x64
                      X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Working...
                      X