mode and Vray sun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mode and Vray sun

I am animating a Vray sun from 6am to Noon. I am assuming since the light is what is moving in the scene my only or best option for IRmode is single frame? Is IRmap and Brute force the best way to go for a sunrise type scene? I am trying to bring render times down.

Thank you,
    Patrick

Best is brute force plus LC, longish render times though.

Currently I am trying to make it work with LC as primary, no secondary, haven't quite gotten it to clean up, but some tests have been promising. Will probably need to add an AO pass for some added detail.

Another option is to go sans GI with a dome light, can work pretty good if there are not a lot of nooks and crannies that the dome can't light. Trick is balancing the shadow subs of the dome light for noise vs. time.

I still need to spend some time with the animation option of the irrmap, so far my attempts have been either too slow or too noisy...
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Originally posted by Animato727 View Post
      I am animating a Vray sun from 6am to Noon. I am assuming since the light is what is moving in the scene my only or best option for IRmode is single frame? Is IRmap and Brute force the best way to go for a sunrise type scene? I am trying to bring render times down.

Thank you,
      Patrick
      I think you ought to consider "Animation (prepass)" rather than "Single frame" mode, as you will later be able to interpolate various individual IR maps for a smoother result.
      Free V-Ray licenses? It doesn't get any cheaper...

Comment

yes.. the new animation mode is suitable. Im currently rendering an interior sunset in 1280x720
        (just a performance test)
        the prepass took between 4 and 6 minutes. The final animation takes between 15 to 25 minutes per frame (8 interpolation frames). But the long render time for the final image is more an AA/Glossines/Softshadow issue than GI. 350 frames so far.. totally clean and sharp GI. I will post it when it´s finished. CPU is a Q6600.

cheers,

sam

Comment

If your light changes color does that affect the prepass process or is the cache ignore light color?

Comment

Originally posted by samuel_bubat View Post
            (8 interpolation frames)
            Are you sure you need so many interpolation frames? This causes V-Ray to load and interpolate between 17 irradiance maps, which may slow it down.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by Animato727 View Post
              If your light changes color does that affect the prepass process or is the cache ignore light color?
              The light colors affect the prepass, of course, as they influence the GI calculations for bounced light.

Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

[QUOTE=vlado;371028]The light colors affect the prepass, of course, as they influence the GI calculations for bounced light.

So in that sense the Vray sun moves from 6am till Noon and this is an animation. You cannot cache the scene since the light changes from orange to blue? Am I thinking about this right? I am assuming the sun changes its color automatically.

Thank you,
                Patrick

Comment

Yes, since all shadows will be in different places and the light will go in different directions; the sun color will also change causing the GI solution to be different.

Best regards,
                  Vlado

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
                    Are you sure you need so many interpolation frames? This causes V-Ray to load and interpolate between 17 irradiance maps, which may slow it down.

Best regards,
                    Vlado
                    Yes, You´re right. I ran to to some slight problems. I describe them in my thread in the "Image"
                    forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X