Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

procedure for remote link to vray license ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• procedure for remote link to vray license ?

I have a dongle at the office and want to be able to connect to it from my laptop - how do I do this ?
    So far, these are the steps I have taken.
    Dongle is plugged in to office desktop machine.
    RDC from laptop to office works perfectly, so I know there is a live connection between the two machines.
    I have opened the 30304 port in the firewall on both machines.
    On the laptop, in the license server settings, where it says "License Server" I type in the name of the office desktop computer & then 30304 as the connection port.
    I then type in the username of the office desktop computer (in the "Online Authorisation Settings" dialog) and then I type in the user password.

On the laptop I then try to run the Vray license server but all I get is this message "vrlservice.exe: Start Error. Program needs WIBU-BOX"

The WIBU software in installed on both machines, although i have no idea what it does or if its needed. Starting it up doesnt make any difference.

Can someone provide a step by step how i'm supposed to set this thing up t?
    Thx
    Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Dont you need the ip address, not the computer name.
    Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by leotchest View Post
      I have a dongle at the office and want to be able to connect to it from my laptop - how do I do this ?
      So far, these are the steps I have taken.
      Dongle is plugged in to office desktop machine.
      RDC from laptop to office works perfectly, so I know there is a live connection between the two machines.
      I have opened the 30304 port in the firewall on both machines.
      On the laptop, in the license server settings, where it says "License Server" I type in the name of the office desktop computer & then 30304 as the connection port.
      I then type in the username of the office desktop computer (in the "Online Authorisation Settings" dialog) and then I type in the user password.

On the laptop I then try to run the Vray license server but all I get is this message "vrlservice.exe: Start Error. Program needs WIBU-BOX"

The WIBU software in installed on both machines, although i have no idea what it does or if its needed. Starting it up doesnt make any difference.

Can someone provide a step by step how i'm supposed to set this thing up t?
      Thx
      Quick dongle overview:

WIBU software is the software that enables your computer to see the dongle plugged into the back. Its just a driver like a mouse driver, etc...

VRay license server runs only on the computer that has the WIBU key plugged in, checks to see how many licenses you are allocated and then "serves" that information to other computers on the network.

So, presumably you can run VRay on your office desktop computer right? If so that means you've got the dongle plugged into the back, the WIBU drivers installed and the VRay license server running on it... You're almost there.

Now, when you want to run VRay on another computer, install VRay and go to "Change VRay Client License Settings" in Start menu/Chaosgroup/Administration/Licensing. Now all you need to do is change the Primary license server to either the network name or IP address of your work desktop. Thats it. Don't mess with online auth settings / alternate licenses or connection ports unless you specifically need to. At this point you should be able to start VRay on your laptop and so long as it is able to connect to your work desktop over the network / internet to verify the license you'll be able to run VRay...
      Christopher Grant
      Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
      Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

thankyou. I believe I already tried the IP address - but i'll have another go tonight & see what happens. Glad to hear though that in theory its so simple. Does the WIBU software need to be started ? Typically I never actually run that piece of software when working with Vray
        Win10.Ryzen1950X. 80GbRam. RTX3080.RTX2070.Sketchup 22.0.354.VRaySketchUp.6001. - NvidiaStudioDriver 527.37

Comment

Originally posted by leotchest View Post
          thankyou. I believe I already tried the IP address - but i'll have another go tonight & see what happens. Glad to hear though that in theory its so simple. Does the WIBU software need to be started ? Typically I never actually run that piece of software when working with Vray
          Oops. Forgot to mention the WIBU server software. Well I believe your WIBU server software is started automatically. If it is running, it'll be in your system tray. The trick is for it to be running as a service. So if thats not setup already, start the WIBU Network Server app (should be in your start menu under WIBU-KEY. Then right click on its sys tray icon and say "Start as Service" that way it'll always be running on your computer, you won't need to login or anything...

So the updated overall process looks like this:

WIBU USB key plugs into computer -> WIBU server software reads the key -> VRay floating license service reads the key info from WIBU server -> other computers request license from VRay license server via network name or IP
          Christopher Grant
          Director of Visualization, HMC Architects
          Portfolio, ChristopherGrant.com

Comment

great. its working. so cool to see it working

Comment

is someone try that with hamachi ? and if is, what settings is used ?
              Best regards,
              Andrian

Comment

With Hamachi you set it up as you would in a normal network connection. With the computer name or ip address.

Comment

Originally posted by rmejia View Post
                  With Hamachi you set it up as you would in a normal network connection. With the computer name or ip address.
                  yep but doesn't work, on local network all machines working well, but in hamachi network can't obtain license... still .. some advice ?

i can browse shares, can view license pc in my network, but still cant obtain license.. any help will be more than appreciated.

i cant make direct connection with RD, coz of restriction of adsl modem, and using hamachi for that..
                  Best regards,
                  Andrian

Comment

With hamachi the computer in the online network should show up as part of the computers in the wired network. If the computer in the office is O1 and the computer at home O2, and the computer in the office is the one with the dongle, all that has to be done is specify in the home computer the V-Ray license server information. Putting O1 as the Primary or alternate license server, the connection port 30304 should work. If you can see O1 in the network places it should work. Another thing is that one can only use 1 license per dongle, so if one computer is currently using the license, it won't be available on the other one. I don't remember if the license server has to be registered also to pass the firewall.

Have you tried starting the license server on the computer using hamachi to register the port on the firewall?
                    Last edited by rmejia; 21-04-2008, 11:05 AM.

Comment

double post.....

Comment

Originally posted by rmejia View Post
                        With hamachi the computer in the online network should show up as part of the computers in the wired network. If the computer in the office is O1 and the computer at home O2, and the computer in the office is the one with the dongle, all that has to be done is specify in the home computer the V-Ray license server information. Putting O1 as the Primary or alternate license server, the connection port 30304 should work. If you can see O1 in the network places it should work. Another thing is that one can only use 1 license per dongle, so if one computer is currently using the license, it won't be available on the other one. I don't remember if the license server has to be registered also to pass the firewall.

Have you tried starting the license server on the computer using hamachi to register the port on the firewall?
                        i did open manulay the port in my firewall, but can try to do that... may help,
                        another: I left 4 DR slaves to render in the office right now, so that can be the other problem too..
                        Best regards,
                        Andrian

Comment

Originally posted by Fekta.studio View Post
                          another: I left 4 DR slaves to render in the office right now, so that can be the other problem too..
                          If you only have 1 license, and it is being used in the office, this probably is the reason.

Comment

for DR render check also if the 20204 port is open.

Comment

Working...
                            X