No announcement yet.

License service fallout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a talk with one of our IT guys and they need some info I can't find.

He asked me to find out specifically how vray communicates to another machine. Which network protocols it uses, and things like that. the only thing I could tell him is which port it uses because that was obvious to me.

I have the dongle on a different domain, and I think that might be the primary reason for the problem. i can connect to it using internet explorer, so everything seems to be working properly, but I can't connect to the server with max. I have the machine listed, even listed it once with name and once with IP address, and the vray license just won't be found in max.

Our IT guy said there is no firewall for internal traffic, and for other things I have found that to be true. We use an internet proxy, but that shouldn't effect local traffic as far as I know. Also, since I can connect with IE I assume it should work fine.

any ideas? I just can not get it to work. I need to have one dongle on the server so all my farm machines can see alicense. I wish render machines didn't need a license. Then my problem would be solved. I could just put all the dongles on their own local machine.

Comment

My vray machines have started to licence-pop for us now!
      Since sp2 i guess...I need a solution for this, it causes big trouble.
      Ones it pops you cant se your shaders and sometimes render but no settings.

Could it be the usb port? seems like bug as lot of pepole seems to experience this now.
      Has worked like a clock untill now...

///

Comment

Originally posted by andrewjohn81 View Post
        I had a talk with one of our IT guys and they need some info I can't find.

He asked me to find out specifically how vray communicates to another machine. Which network protocols it uses, and things like that. the only thing I could tell him is which port it uses because that was obvious to me.

I have the dongle on a different domain, and I think that might be the primary reason for the problem. i can connect to it using internet explorer, so everything seems to be working properly, but I can't connect to the server with max. I have the machine listed, even listed it once with name and once with IP address, and the vray license just won't be found in max.

Our IT guy said there is no firewall for internal traffic, and for other things I have found that to be true. We use an internet proxy, but that shouldn't effect local traffic as far as I know. Also, since I can connect with IE I assume it should work fine.

any ideas? I just can not get it to work. I need to have one dongle on the server so all my farm machines can see alicense. I wish render machines didn't need a license. Then my problem would be solved. I could just put all the dongles on their own local machine.
        Very hard to give you specific hints on this since I don't know how your network is set up but it seems you might be suffering from a routing problem. Maybe your network is set up with VLans where the port for the license server (default 30304) isn't being routed to other VLans / LANs.

There's is nothing specific about this other then the port number. It just uses the TCP/IP protocol.

Anyway, this is most likely indeed caused either by a permissions / authentication issue over the trust between the two domains or it is network component related. e.g., layer 3 switch that doesn't route the port to other VLans or routers connecting the domains are blocking ports / IP / users / traffic in general. Routers (and layer 3 switches with VLans) block traffic between LANs by default unless access is specifically granted.

But again, very difficult to tell you exactly what's going on I'm afraid.

Anyway, what's needed for the license server to work is (at least):
        • Port 30304 must be enabled to be routed over all networks included in the rendering- and licensing process (including vlans) with proper authentication between domains / LANs / networks components (routers, switches, etc.)
        • Routed protocols must include HTTP - port 80 and TCP/IP - port 30304 (that is, if the default license server port is not changed during the setup process)
        • User account in Domain A must have sufficient access to Domain B where the license server is located (check authentication / user account permissions / Domain Trust setup / etc.)
        That's about all what I can think of right now.

Things can become quite complex and troublesome if using (several) VLans. A lot of licensing problems are caused by network issues (even switches that suffer from corrupted host tables or a lot of collisions due to heavy traffic / bad switch / bad network cables / etc.) or authentication problems. Hard to track for anyone not involved in your ICT.

Hope this helps anyway?

John

Comment

Back to the issue

Hello,

i've got a weird problem with the license service too : after a render (with or without crash) my pc can't get anymore the license.
          But in weirdest is that i have some render in queue, and it still work.

The only possibility to get access to the license is to reboot the pc (with the dongle).

Any idea ?

Thanks!

Comment

Is this only happening with SP2? I haven't updated from SP1 yet and am not having any license service issues.

Comment

One thing you can do first, is on your workstation, go to Control panel, System applet, Advanced, Environment variables, and create an environment variable named "VRAY_CONNECT_TIMEOUT" without the quotes with a value of "50000" again without the quotes, and restart 3ds Max.

If this does not help, email me to vlado@chaosgroup.com and we'll work to solve this.

Basically the issue is that many users complained that in previous versions the material editor updated very slowly if for some reason V-Ray could not find a license. I corrected this, but it appears to have caused issues for other users.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

finally it works

Hello,

Thanks for your answer. I didn't try your trick because i was waiting for the end of my network render (deadline sigh!) before trying anything.

what have i done :
                first just uninstall, reboot, a new installation = nightmare, no way to get a license and last but not least the wibu-key test and configuration utility see ,for 1 or 2 mn, the usb key with the good serial number sometimes with a strange serial number sometimes see nothing.

then :
                uninstall vray and clean every single entry for v-ray in the registry base
                uninstall wibu-key software
                reboot

reinstall the whole thing and for now it's ok

hope that it continue

Bye

Comment

Working...
                X