Orphaned Works - You'll lose your copyrights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphaned Works - You'll lose your copyrights

I haven't read anything on this forum about the bill currently in congress that will remove automatic copyrights - this will force all of us and every other artist to PAY and register our work or it will be considered an 'Orphaned Work', meaning you don't own it and anyone can just take and use it. Even register as their own. Read about it now, it's important.

I'm shocked that most people are passively surprised - and are fine to wait and see what happens. If this passes, we'll all be extremely pissed and screwed. But then it'll be too late:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    FROM THE ILLUSTRATORS' PARTNERSHIP

Take Action: Don't Let Congress Orphan Our Work

We’ve set up an online site for visual artists to e-mail their Senators and Representatives with one click.

This site is open to professional artists, photographers and any member of the image-making public.

We’ve provided sample letters from individuals representing different sectors of the visual arts.

If you’re opposed to the Orphan Works act, this site is yours to use.

For international artists and our colleagues overseas, we’ve provided a special link, with a sample letter and instructions as to whom to write.

2 minutes is all it takes to write Congress and protect your copyright:

http://capwiz.com/illustratorspartnership/home/

Please forward this message to every artist you know.

If you received our mail as a forwarded message, and wish to be added to our mailing list, email us at: illustratorspartnership@cnymail.com
    Place "Add Name" in the subject line, and provide your name and the email address you want used in the message area.

umm. how can congress tell me in my own country that i have to conform to their laws.

---------------------------------------------------
    MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
    stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Can anyone sum this up for me? I've tried really hard to find out what it's about, but all ive been able to gather is 'OH NO NOT ORPHAN WORKS, WE'RE GOING TO BE SCREWED' And hundreds of pages of details of who to get in touch with if I dont like it.
      How do they 'orphan' your work, is it just anything that isnt made for a contract or as a custom piece is instantly classed as orphaned and not yours? Because thats ridiculous, but i dont see why it'd be such a big deal otherwise.

Doesnt affect me being in the UK anyway, does it?

Comment

This article might clear things up a little bit: http://maradydd.livejournal.com/374886.html

Don't know how much truth there is in that article of course but it sounds like some thought and research went into it.

If anything, it's a US thing only. This bill doesn't affect the way the rest of the world acts on protecting copyrights. I also highly doubt the US will go against and leave the Berne Convention Union (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_C...Artistic_Works), which they are still a part of.

I think sending that message to everyone you know only adds to the confusion. Be more like Cubiclegangster: think about it for a moment, is there any truth to this at all? Just because someone said this and set up an internet website doesn't make it true

Anyway, it doesn't affect me so I didn't put a lot of effort in trying to find out what this is all about

Hope this helps.

Comment

Read this:
          http://www.copyright.gov/docs/regstat031308.html

Direct from the horses mouth. Gives a good background of the 'problem' and their proposed solution.

Here is the whole history of documents related to this: http://www.copyright.gov/orphan/

Bottom line for us: watermark or embed metadata in your images. If you see someone using your work without permission, there are plenty of provisions in the proposed legislation for recovery of 'damages'. After reading the bill, it really doesn't sound that bad to me. It's mainly aimed at archival footage and stuff too old to be able to find the original owner.

Comment

the thing i found interesting is the point that it could be a result of how easy it is to get sued in america. Basically if someone cant find the author then this allows them to use the work and protects them from being sued by the owner... (unless i read it wrong)

It all seems a bit back to front to me. And the idea of registering every peice of work seems a but like paying a criminal so that they don't steal your car.

even after reading both sides of the argument im still left wondering what the world is coming to. In my opinion people who do the wrong thing are being overprotected by do-gooders at times at the expense of others who actually work hard and have ethics/ morals.

Comment

Working...
            X