Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vrimg file size?

Hi all -
    I have been trying to use vrimg files as a convenient way to store passes in one file, but I am finding the file size for this format is astronomical compared to the set of passes as .exr or .hdr files (like 700mb versus 50mb of files) Is that normal? Is there a reason they are so large?

Thanks!
    b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

EXR Files are usually 16 bit "half-float" while vrimg files are 32bit "full-float".
    Full-float is overkill though as you never really need the extra precision and the files get much bigger. You can always use the vrimg2exr tool to convert vrimg files to half-float exr files too.

Comment

Thanks - that would seem to explain the size jump. I do use that conversion utility all the time - and your .bat file (thanks for that!) - it's very handy for sure. I was just looking for a way to minimize the files that I have to archive. Having one file to save makes it easier to keep track of all the versions, and it would make the VfB history option more useful (once I figure out how to stop that from crashing Max.
      b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

.exr files have lossless compression by default, whereas .vrimg files do not have any data compression whatsoever, so they tend to be quite large.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That explains it too. It's a very handy format - any plans to incorporate compression, or is that a very non-trivial thing? I am very ignorant of programming so have no idea what is involved.

Thanks for the reply.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

It's actually very easy to add zlib compression to .vrimg files and we will be looking into this.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

That would be great - it's a very useful format and with the VfB history a quick and powerful combo.

Thanks
              b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
              X