2 params i'm confused about

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 params i'm confused about

I've seen them turned on and off in tutorials and peoples screenshots of their settings, but never understood why. They are:

(*) Lightcache adaptive mode.
    I generally always leave this on because I was under the impression it produced cleaner results with less samples with very little if any overhead, therefore, why would anyone ever have this off?

(*) IR Cache multipass.
    With this off the IR Cache is calculated in a single pass, sometimes people make a point of turning it off, and I have no idea why. From my own limited tests I couldn't make out any visual difference - I didn't check rendertimes.

Thanks in advance for shedding any light (ha) on these subjects.

Originally posted by duke2 View Post
    I've seen them turned on and off in tutorials and peoples screenshots of their settings, but never understood why. They are:

(*) Lightcache adaptive mode.
    I generally always leave this on because I was under the impression it produced cleaner results with less samples with very little if any overhead, therefore, why would anyone ever have this off?

(*) IR Cache multipass.
    With this off the IR Cache is calculated in a single pass, sometimes people make a point of turning it off, and I have no idea why. From my own limited tests I couldn't make out any visual difference - I didn't check rendertimes.

Thanks in advance for shedding any light (ha) on these subjects.
    Hi Duke,

in my opinion leave the adaptive mode on as it will place samples where they are needed most.

for the IRR map there is no harm to leave it off but i was of the understanding that it is better to have it on as you have the sample data from the first pass then the second .. so basically vray knows what it has to do quicker.. but i may be wrong ..
    Natty
    http://www.rendertime.co.uk

Comment

Light cache in adaptive mode might help to produce a cleaner GI solution, as it will attempt to place samples where they are needed. However, it requires more RAM and might be slower than a non-adaptive version of the light cache.

For the irradiance map, it is better to leave the multipass option on, as it will help to better distribute the samples.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Working...
      X