Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior Lighting Problem

Can anyone help?

I have Max's Daylight System with a Vray Sun.
    I have a few interior Target Spot Lights on.

There are wierd lighting glows around the window trims; I don't believe they are light leaks, but something to do with the exterior light.

I've never used a Daylight system/Vray Sun before, so What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance, and here's the scene (www.vrenderings.com/condo01.zip).

Vandy

PS. If needed, how can I get a background in the scene without affecting the lighting?
    Attached Files

Vandy,
    Any chance you could post your settings?
    Looks like it could be low GI subdivs...... but its a bit hard to tell at this stage
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Settings

Sure, here you go. You can also download the scene at the above link; it's max2009.
      Thanks.
      Attached Files

Comment

If not using the VRay Phyisical Cam (with the appropriate real life values), I never use a sun intensity multiplier higher than .03
        If it goes any higher than that it burns too much. The appropriate value I believe is closer to .01 (I use .012 almost always when not using phys cam)

http://rapidshare.com/files/14056012..._TEST.max.html

*still there are some light artifacts at the door, but they are much less, might try higher render settings.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by rmejia; 27-08-2008, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Light flowing in

Not really what I'm after, I'm trying to have light flow in the condo like real life. From far back the shot looks good, but the problem is when I'm closer to the door, and the glow happens around the windows (see first picture). If I turn down the sun multiplier, then the sun rays from outside become less bright (I want to keep the rays brightness coming in).

Anyone have some other ideas?

Vandy
          Attached Files
          Last edited by vandy; 27-08-2008, 03:08 PM. Reason: unclear problem statement

Comment

Have you tried enabling "Check sample visibility" in advanced options of IM panel?

Zoran

Comment

I agree with Zoran and "check sample visibilty" under Irradiance Map settings should fix the light leaks.

From the initial image it also looks like the vray sky environment is giving off too much light. Are you using vray sky in your environment map?? if so you can manually change the intensity of this environment map by dragging the vray sky from the environment slot into the material editor as an instance. this means you can keep the intensity of your vray sun intact.

click the "manual sun node" box to independently control the environment and change the "sun intensity multiplier" until you decide exactly how strong you want the sky environment light to be.

Comment

Linear Work Flow

Thanks for the above suggestions.

I've just learned something new; well, kind of learned. I think some of my problems are because of my lack of having a proper "work flow". I've read up on "Linear Work Flow", and although most of it went right over my head, I think I understand the need for having Photoshop, 3D Max, and VRay all using the same system (gamma 2.2), I suppose. I wanted to do the linear work flow tutorial from throb (http://throb.net/site_main/LinearWorkflow.html), but the site is disabled.

Anyway, I have 3D Max gamma at 2.2 (see attachment)
                Photoshop was already at 2.2
                My LCD, I guess from what I've read is 2.2 (see attachment)

Open this image (www.vrenderings.com/lwf_problem.jpg), why is the map I'm using for the cabinets so different from the rendering output? How do I fix it? The lower photograph of the cabinets is what I'm going for. Attached also is a better angle of the cabinets.

Thanks to anybody who can help.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by vandy; 03-09-2008, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Ouput bitmap in max to 1.0, with a value of 2.2 you re doubling the gamma on the render image.

Comment

Thanks, I caught that and then re-rendered the above sample. Now the Bitmap Files are 1 and 1. Any guesses as to why these two are different colors?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here's my Photoshop Color Settings too. Don't know if these are set right though.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by vandy View Post
                        Thanks, I caught that and then re-rendered the above sample. Now the Bitmap Files are 1 and 1. Any guesses as to why these two are different colors?
                        For the material did you save it in cmyk or rgb mode? It happens to me
                        a few time when I create a new file cmyk was kicked in as a default mode
                        for some reason the previous user on the workstation needed to swap
                        color modes on photoshop ... and 3dsmax don't read cmyk mode like
                        photoshop does, so produces scrappy ...
                        Last edited by victor.nsy; 03-09-2008, 08:33 PM.
                        Studio Max 2009 x64
                        X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Vray Master's Book

No, it's saved as RGB. I think I'll start by getting my monitor calibrated correctly, then make sure Max, VRay, and Photoshop are all under the same "gamma" or whatever. I've found a very lengthy topic on it at http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...near+work+flow

I need to do more reading on the subject.

I really wish a VRAY book would be published with all the subjects covered (including tutorials) by all the VRay masters. I have the DVD's by Chris Nichols which I highly recommend (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/).

I know Lagrenzi has a Vray book coming out (http://www.francescolegrenzi.com/blog/index.php), which I plan on buying, but someone needs to put a Masters book together. How about it Chris, Rob, Nikki, Vlado, etc?

Comment

Linear Work Flow

I think I found a simple tutorial that help with setting up a Linear Work Flow if anyone's interested:

http://www.aversis.be/tutorials/vray...l_gamma_01.htm

My materials in the material editor are now totally matching what I see in Photoshop.

Comment

Working...
                            X