Flickering in refraction of curved glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flickering in refraction of curved glass

Ok.. I've run accross this problem twice now.

I've seemed to isolate it down to when you are animating and seeing through a curved pane of glass that is NOT a full circle (ie.. like you would have with an object in a circular glass display case). In both cases this was a curved glass on the exterior of a building.

Both times this has happened, the camera is looking through the convex side of the glass (meaning the glass is curving away from the camera). The refraction through the glass as the camera is moving looks fine in any still frame.. and it looks ok for a few frames.. but it's like the amount of refraction will suddenly change sharply from one frame to another (creating a flicker), then it will look fine for a few frames.. then it will change or jump sharply again. Both times it seemed to happen every 5 frames or so.. creating a flickering in the refraction.

I've tried:

1) Collapsing the object to just an editable mesh. Didn't work.
    2) Removing the glass object from both recieving and contributing to the GI. Didn't work.

The only thing that seems to work is switching to a standard material that uses the opacity setting with a vray map in the reflection slot. This seems to fix the problem.. but is appears to be slightly slower in the rendering and there is no refraction of course. It's kind of nice to have refraction on a CURVED pane of glass. I don't know if using a vray map in the refraction channel of a standard material would give me the same problem.

A couple of things I haven't tried:

1) Using a map in the opactity map slot to control the transparency of the glass rather than using refraction, again.. might fix the problem.. but then there is no refraction.
    2) Upping the max depth of the refraction of the vray glass material. Have been using 5 at the moment.

Has anyone else experienced this? And have a solution for it?
    Last edited by MikeHampton; 28-08-2008, 12:40 PM.

I'd double-check the geometry, it's easy to get intersecting faces on curved objects if it isn't properly modeled.

Comment

Originally posted by Codi View Post
      I'd double-check the geometry, it's easy to get intersecting faces on curved objects if it isn't properly modeled.
      Nope... very simple curved surface. Geometry is solid.

Comment

Could this be geometry related?.
        How dense is your mesh, and does the jumps you refer to match mesh edges?

-Tom

Comment

Originally posted by winberg View Post
          Could this be geometry related?.
          How dense is your mesh, and does the jumps you refer to match mesh edges?

-Tom
          You know... that's something I haven't considered. The mesh isn't very dense.. just enough segments to produce the curve. Your comment got me thinking about the possibility that maybe there are too few faces in the curve and maybe the sudden jump in the refraction might be when it's moving from one face to another.

Don't know for sure.. but that's something I will check into.

Comment

Whats your reflections/refractions depth set to? Ramp those up and see if it helps.

Comment

Whats your reflections/refractions depth set to? Ramp those up and see if it helps.
              Set to 5 for refraction.. haven't tried upping that yet.

Comment

Update to this

Tom seemed to have the answer. I recreated the curved glass with more faces. Double the number of faces greatly reduced the "jumping" and trippeling the number of faces seemed to have completly taken care of it.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

Comment

Working...
                X