Clear All

ICC profiles?

What do you mean by that?
    So then what is wrong here?
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

Comment

ok I found where to change it in photoshop
      If I select my current default monitor (Samsung) profile in photoshop instead of sRGB profile, then it shows correctly, bu still shows wrong in windows picture viewer. So then should I set in my graphics settings to show sRGB profile instead of my Samsung screen profile?
      (I never had issues before, not sure why I do now)

also without playing with profiles, it shows correctly if I bring it into powerpoint
      now what?
      Last edited by Morne; 03-09-2008, 09:09 AM.
      Kind Regards,
      Morne

Comment

ok so I thought I would be clever by deleting my monitor profile. It didnt do anything. Even after selecting sRGB as the monitor profile in windows, max and photoshop still behaves differently

I need some help please. Seems this is long gone not Vray anymore, so could this thread please be moved to off-topic by somebody who can.
        Kind Regards,
        Morne

Comment

Color profiles in Windows and PS can get very messy, just wait and buy Francesco's book, he covers color pipeline stuff very thoroughly.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

If you are using windows vista go to to search bar on start and search for ICC or
            color management... xp has that too. Just makes sure you don't apply any color profile
            as 3dsmax seems not to be bothered by those. But the rest of the microsoft software does.

Color management when understood throughly takes alot of effort. Real color management
            requires controlled environment and lights. Windows lights are bad and the room must
            be painted in a neutral tone. Measuring instrument are used like the spectrometer...
            viewing angles are critical and screens that are specificially design for color correct are
            really expensive, some have color measuring devices attached to it.

So color management isn't just easy as 'abc', so I skipped that and use my eye most of
            the time as my work didn't need that level of accuracy. But with that said it's definitely essential
            that what's coming out of max looks the same on the same machine ... on a different piece of
            software.

It's highly advice as a color profile mismatch for your case. Best of luck.
            Last edited by victor.nsy; 03-09-2008, 08:47 PM.
            Studio Max 2009 x64
            X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Originally posted by RErender View Post
              Color profiles in Windows and PS can get very messy, just wait and buy Francesco's book, he covers color pipeline stuff very thoroughly.
              Cool, thanks for the info. I'd be interested in this book. Do you have any information on its release?

I've probably missed another thread somewhere

Comment

so do I have to worry about the colours in photoshop or just leave it as it looks fine in max?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

Originally posted by paulison View Post
                  Cool, thanks for the info. I'd be interested in this book. Do you have any information on its release?

I've probably missed another thread somewhere
                  Here is Francesco's site, looks like he has just updated the news about the English edition http://www.francescolegrenzi.com/blog/ Should be published soon.
                  Eric Boer
                  Dev

Comment

I've always noticed the same problem too, especially with darker images. Good thing my renders never come out just the way I want them in Max - I always have to do a good deal of work to them in Photoshop anyways, so it doesn't really matter too much to me if they are slightly different.
                    Tim Nelson
                    timnelson3d.com

Comment

Problem solved - with workaround

OK so even though I dont know why this is suddenly happening in the 1st place, I fixed the problem with a workaround.

Its simple. In photoshop I just tell the working color space to be instead of the deafult sRGB profile, to be the same as my color profile in windows graphics system settings namely in this case my Samsung monitor profile. Then when saving the file in photoshop I also make sure in the save dialog that the color setting is using that same profile. This comes out the same as VFB. Also on another pc when viewing the file, even though that pc does not have this profile installed, it comes out correct. Maybe this info helps somebody else.
                      Last edited by Morne; 07-09-2008, 08:24 AM.
                      Kind Regards,
                      Morne

Comment

Originally posted by DVP3D View Post
                        OK so even though I dont know why this is suddenly happening in the 1st place, I fixed the problem with a workaround.

Its simple. In photoshop I just tell the working color space to be instead of the deafult sRGB profile, to be the same as my color profile in windows graphics system settings namely in this case my Samsung monitor profile. Then when saving the file in photoshop I also make sure in the save dialog that the color setting is using that same profile. This comes out the same as VFB. Also on another pc when viewing the file, even though that pc does not have this profile installed, it comes out correct. Maybe this info helps somebody else.
                        In PhotoShop, click on View in the menu bar. Is Proof Colors checked? If it is, uncheck it. Now, click on View > Proof Setup. You can see a number of different output setting that you can choose from if you want to see what your image will look like on that kind of output. You click Proof Colors if you want to see the output simulated on your monitor. But if you don't understand proofing, just leave it unchecked.

Craig

Edit: CTL Y toggles proof on and off. You could have accidentaly enabled it.

Comment

I usually just fiddle with all the color management both in adobe and in windows until my
                          colors in both MAX and adobe looks exactly the same. But remember their RGB value on
                          both software is in fact exactly the same even if they look different in 2 software and
                          one of them has color management. The reason why they looked different is the direct
                          cause of color profiles - "transforming" - fiddling with the LAB value behind the scene without
                          changing the RGB values.
                          Last edited by victor.nsy; 08-09-2008, 10:59 PM.
                          Studio Max 2009 x64
                          X5000 Chipset | Dual Core Intel 5140 | 4G RAM | Nvidia FX3450 drv 6.14.10.9185

Comment

Originally posted by 3ddesign View Post
                            In PhotoShop, click on View in the menu bar. Is Proof Colors checked? If it is, uncheck it. Now, click on View > Proof Setup. You can see a number of different output setting that you can choose from if you want to see what your image will look like on that kind of output. You click Proof Colors if you want to see the output simulated on your monitor. But if you don't understand proofing, just leave it unchecked.

Craig

Edit: CTL Y toggles proof on and off. You could have accidentaly enabled it.
                            I checked that proof colors is unchecked and it is. Under proof setup it says working CMYK. If I set my color profile back to sRGB in photoshop, then enable proof colors and the in proof setup select monitor RGB, then it is correct again. But still this means that it gets fixed with a workaround. My problem is that I did NOT change any settings on my pc and now even when saving things from VFB it even views less saturated when just viewed with windows picture and fax viewer, where previously it was correct. This is driving me nuts!
                            Kind Regards,
                            Morne

Comment

The Plot Thickens

OK now I figured out that in all my programs including max 2009 VFB, apple picture viewer, powerpoint 2003, firefox browser, paint etc the images looks the same without messing with any color settings. In Vista also I noticed that the default picture viewer is not called "windows picture and fax viewer" like in xp, but called "windows photo gallery". Now the only programs that shows the color different to all the others are this windows photo gallery and photoshop.
                              Any tips anybody please?
                              Kind Regards,
                              Morne

Comment

nobody have any clues?
                                Kind Regards,
                                Morne

Comment

Working...
                                X