Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Licence server over the net?

I was wondering if this was possible.

We have 2 licenses on a single dongle back at the office, and I would like to use Vray from my home address. I know I can take the dongle with me, but I know one day Ill forget to bring it back to the office and that would cause problems If I'm up against a deadline or something.

So, I would like to leave the dongle at work and connect to it via the net. I'm guessing this is possible but how, and does anyone do it already..might there be big lags when rendering etc?

cheers!
    mdi-digital.com

I use OpenVNC and it works a treat. Takes a bit of setting up, but once its working it as though you are sitting on the office network. I can even DR from home using the office renderfarm
    Patrick Macdonald
    Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

Comment

I use hamachi, it works for the license, but I have not been able to set up backburner or DR from home.

Comment

+1 for Hamachi. Works like a charm and a breeze to setup; haven't tried BB or DR. There were a few posts about it, but I'm not sure what survived.

Comment

I think it should be pretty straightforward if you have a license server set up at your office. Just log-in from home on a VPN client or something.
          Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 11-09-2008, 07:57 AM.
          "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

i have a lan-to-lan solution. (2 draytek's) Works like a charm.

If they only increase the UL ......

Comment

we use VPN within the office as a way to view other computers (we are a lazy bunch)

How do I use that for one pc at home to acsess the vrayserver in the office, I though it only transmits whats on the monitor and not anything else?
              mdi-digital.com

Comment

I haven't actually done it, because I don't work at home anymore. I spoke with my IT guy, and he said that except in the case of a communication delay between the client and the license server (and depending on how vray interprets a delay), it should work fine.

I don't understand the benefit of using VPN to view other computers? I just use remote desktop with an admin account.
                Last edited by Clifton Santiago; 12-09-2008, 02:05 AM.
                "Why can't I build a dirigible with my mind?"

Comment

sorry....My mistake, we use VNC, not VPN to view the pc in the office......

Best go do some research on VPN then
                  mdi-digital.com

Comment

cheers all for the help!!!

I have sucsessfully installed hamachi and Iv also figured out how to remotly turn on the computer holding the Dongle!

So I can no turn on/turn off, view/use, run server all from my house
                    mdi-digital.com

Comment

Originally posted by re:FORM View Post
                      I use OpenVNC and it works a treat. Takes a bit of setting up, but once its working it as though you are sitting on the office network. I can even DR from home using the office renderfarm
                      Ok, so I just got RealVNC, (I couldn't actually find a reference to OpenVNC anywhere, xpt as deadlinks)
                      so how do I set it up to do DR over the net?
                      I can access the remote computers with no problems
                      Raj

Comment

Hehe, more bad abbreviations there probably, I think he means OpenVPN
                        3DV - Ruud van Reenen
                        www.3dv.nl

Comment

At least it wasn't an OpenVPL.

Comment

just download Hamachi...it works really well.

Although Im a little worried about how safe it is, does seem to potentially open your network to the world.
                            Last edited by mdi; 17-09-2008, 03:07 AM.
                            mdi-digital.com

Comment

Does anyone have DR working over Hamachi or VPN?

If so, if all source-files are synced and locally available on the remote rendernodes, is networktraffic during DR low enough to effectively use it over the internet?
                              3DV - Ruud van Reenen
                              www.3dv.nl

Comment

Working...
                              X