Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animated VRay proxys of Onyx Tree

Hi all

Is it possible to make 1 animated VRay proxy from an Onyx tree blowing in the wind, then instance or scatter or whatever the tree a bunch of times, and have the animation of each tree offset so that they don't all look exactly the same?

Regards,
    Morne
    Kind Regards,
    Morne

would like to know too
    3LP Team

Comment

you sure can. It works well.
      Just watch out for the size of the animated proxy. It can get fairly large.
      Chris Jackson
      Shiftmedia
      www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Yeah so try to keep the animated loop as short as possible.

Comment

just saw this on scriptspot

this should help

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/vr...n-control-v1-0

Comment

Just throught I'd point out that, as far as I know of how the animated proxies work, if you want a bunch of them with different offset frames then you'll need that much more RAM to load the different "variations" - each version of the tree with a different offset is effectively a different object for RAM requirement purposes.

Especially with trees that can be very polygon-heavy, this is something to keep in mind, IMHO.

Jorge

Comment

Being the proxy dynamic geometry, unless you're feeding it a heavy multi-bounce GI (like LC) you're likely to have memory loads fairly consistent, no matter what.
              Simply set the dynamic memory limit to however high you can, then render and forget about memory issues entirely.
              Lele
              Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
              ----------------------
              emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
                Simply set the dynamic memory limit to however high you can, then render and forget about memory issues entirely.
                Can I set dynamic memory limit the same as the amount of RAM my machine has? Or is that not recommended?
                Kind Regards,
                Morne

Comment

I usually set mine to 7000mb for my 8gb machine. I've never tried setting it to 8192. I'd recommend leaving your system with at least 512mb of ram so if you have 2048mb of ram, type in 1536, and so on. I could be wrong in the way this works though.

Comment

duke: that's an interesting question, which i asked myself many times. maybe vlado can make a clear statement about this matter.
                    -
                    render forza!

-----

Office Le Nomade, Vienna

web: www.oln.at
                    blog: blog.oln.at

Comment

There is no definate answer i'd say. As you cant predict wich apps/processes are open and consume/request how much memory at what time. Got a PS open ? tweak it...at least i thought that's how it works.

Regards,
                      Thorsten

Comment

Basically the memory you specify there is the upper limit, after which vray start unloading stuff from ram (as opposed to leave it there no matter what, with the static raycaster).
                        That is, there are cases where the dynamic raycaster doesn't even need to swap stuff out of ram, as the upper limit isn't reached during the render.
                        Have a 4gb pc? set it to a couple of GB and it should work fine (vray will warn you of performance loss in case that's too small).
                        It's clearly useless to set it too high (like 4gb on a 4gb pc.), as vray wouldn't unload the stuff from ram even if windows swapped to hell, negating the idea of staying always in the faster RAM space at the expense of some ram swapping overhead (not disk swapping, mind you).
                        Of course, I'm ready to be corrected if I'm wrong
                        Lele
                        Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
                        ----------------------
                        emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
                        The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Have been thinking about trying to do the same thing with Onyx Trees, however, the main limitation would that these animated trees could not be rotated for variation, because the wind direction would different on each tree.
                          It would require several unique proxies that could then be instanced around the scene.
                          And has been mentioned previously, the proxy files would be quite large.
                          sigpic

Vu Nguyen
                          -------------------------
                          www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by dejaVu View Post
                            Have been thinking about trying to do the same thing with Onyx Trees, however, the main limitation would that these animated trees could not be rotated for variation, because the wind direction would different on each tree.
                            It would require several unique proxies that could then be instanced around the scene.
                            And has been mentioned previously, the proxy files would be quite large.
                            Yeah, and it simply looks noisy - you'd be surprised how much you actually recognize when things are off. In this case, it's quite obvious that especially when trees are bunched together, you expect a certain directional rhythm.

Comment

When nature calls is designed for advanced wind animation, http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ad.php?t=47583

Comment

Working...
                              X