Enormous Texture maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enormous Texture maps

I am wondering how problematic it is to have textures maps in the region of 10,000x10,000 pixels ? The files themselves are only 3.5megs so not unusually large but I am experiencing the machine slowing down alot and max crashing so frequently that I can't get anything done.

Thanks

N
    Last edited by Infrared digital; 03-10-2008, 04:58 AM.
    www.morphic.tv
    www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Is it 64-bit version of 3ds Max? Do you have the Bitmap pager enabled?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Hi Vlado

It is 64 bit max and I didn't have the bitmap pager enabled - I have now enabled it.

The parametres are;

Page Size 128kb
      Bitmap Size Threshold 41915kb
      Memory Pool 50000kb

Thanks

N
      www.morphic.tv
      www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

Check out #9 from this link on Neil Blevins' site.

Comment

It seems that anytime the large maps are loaded in the material editor or to render is when the problems occur.

I removed the materials in the material editor which have the large bitmaps and it seems to have done the trick. Alot of the crashes happened when opening the material editor and now this has stopped.

Thanks for your help.
          www.morphic.tv
          www.niallcochrane.co.uk

Comment

You might wanna take a look at the proxy system too. BTW size on disc is irrelevant for render memory use. On disc it might be a "small" jpg. For rendering it will have to be decoded into memory of course. Hence in memory a bitmap will use NumberofChannels * BitDepthPerChannel * x * y

in case of an 8bit jpg (no alpha) at 10k that´s 10.000*10.000*3 * 8 = 2400000000 bit = 300000000 byte = 292968,75 kb = 286 megabyte

Regards,
            Thorsten

Comment

Working...
            X