Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Map drive problem.

Hi guys,
    This isnt Vray specific, but I know theres a knowledge base here that can help with my problem, so I hope you dont mind me tapping this resource.

I have recently changed my network. I have 9 machines all running winXP 64 bit pro. They are a workgroup, not a domain. They are finding files on other machines using ‘shared folders’ (network places). NOTE: Im not very good at networking.

The problem:
    When I try to bring in a model from my model library (or open/edit and old file) Max 2008 is looking for the maps on the network. The location of the map storage has changed. This means Max hangs (...and hangs....) whilst looking for the files in a non-existent location. This happens at every turn (file open, asset manager, bitmap manager, material editor everything).

Possible solution??:
    1: I can rename the server with maps on it to replicate the old drive. However, the old drive was a mapped network dive and since re-installing my network, it doesnt want to let me do that(?) so Im forced to have ‘shared folder’ in the drive path. So I cant make the path the same.

2: (PREFERABLE) Force Max to only look in one location for maps and then give up. Then when I open an old file I can just relocate the maps in the asset manager. So eventually all my library will be remapped. Is this possible?

3: Something I havent thought of. Thats what you guys are for!

Thanks, Im getting desperate, workflow is seriously interrupted!

Tom.
    Tom Livings.
    INFXstudio.com/

This is a life saver in those situations...

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/relink-bitmaps
    Two heads are better than one ...
    ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

^ So true. This script is scheduled for an update sometime soon when I get a moment, I have some cool new things to add to it I hope everyone will enjoy. Please rate it if you get a moment.

-Colin
      Colin Senner

Comment

Colin if you ever come by Toronto we will buy you a lot of beer!
        Cheers
        Mike Kennedy
        Two heads are better than one ...
        ....but some head is better than none.....

Comment

That would be great. I will take you up on that offer sometime.
          Colin Senner

Comment

I'll buy some rounds as well. That is a great script.

b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
            e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
            X