New GI-engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New GI-engine?

I just watched the siggraph-video where vlado presents among other things a new GI-engine... kinda looks like ppt, but seems faster and works better with caustics etc... would love to get some more info on this! are there any more videos out there? How much faster is it compared to standard ppt? Is it fast enough to be usable in production or will it be more of a good way to preview your render? Will it be part of a free upgrade or will it be part of release 2.0?

thanks!
    k

well

for me it seemed to be a comparable algorithm as in maxwell, a bidirektional tracer, but without calculation of wavelength...

faster though as maxwell i think.

I could immagine, that the possibility to turn objects that previously only could be lit by selfiluminaition, to "object lights", is one nessesair step for this allready...

Tom.

We would need a way to tell the ppt, when to stop, something like the samplinglevel maybe ?

also it only would be usable, when we can save out renderpasses..

Tom

Comment

You can play with that if you get the standalone/V-Ray for Maya. You need to specify the -newgi=3 option on the command line to turn the bidirectional path tracer on. It is just an experiment for now, and is not the final implementation that will go into V-Ray 2.0. Many things may not work as expected.

Best regards,
      Vlado
      I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

cool... didnt even know there was a standalone vray-version available! Ill definetly check it out.

So around when can we expect to see release 2.0 then? Have you set a date, or is it more of a "when its done" deal?

Comment

Ha !!!!

you realy hope to get an answer on this ? smile

Comment

not really, but I couldnt resist to ask

Comment

Working...
            X