Kernel usage on rendernodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kernel usage on rendernodes

I'm curious whether any of you look to reduce the kernal usage during rendering; what is an acceptable amount of kernal usage, and how you go about reducing it.

I have 3 machines here, and only the master pc has a low kernel usage of about 5% when rendering. The two nodes have one core on each CPU hitting quite a high level of kernel usage (about 50% total usage over 4 cores).

The master has 8gb, the nodes have 4Gb each. So I guess the kernel usage is down to lack of memory on the nodes (even though my memory usage in one of the nodes doesnt exceed 4gb), and vray using a swapfile to deal with the problem. Trying different raycaster params doesn't seem to reduce the kernel usage.
    Setting raycaster to "static" doesnt reduce kernal usage. Sending the maps with the netrender has no effect either (I thought the kernel usage might have been due to network access).

So, is this something worth looking at when optimising the scene, or does it have a negligable effect on render times? Dispite the high kernel usage in the scene that I used to test this, the cpu usage still hits 100%, so perhaps the effect is not worth worrying about.

Any thoughts on the subject?
    Patrick Macdonald
    Lighting TD : http://reformstudios.com Developer of "Mission Control", the spreadsheet editor for 3ds Max http://reformstudios.com/mission-control-for-3ds-max/

50% kernel usage? That sounds a bit drastic. Have you checked how much memory your scene wants to grab? Tweaking the raycaster should reduce the memory usage, but if it's due to, for example, many different proxies, and a complex environment (many glossies) the gain will only be marginal.

Also, we usually have higher kernel usage only in cases where the hdd's can't keep up with the data requests from the renderer.

Best regards,
    A.
    credit for avatar goes here

Comment

Working...
    X