Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Displacement artifacting problem...

Hi all -
    Having a problem pop up with displacement - pls have a look at the attached thumbnail.

The only thing that should be displaced is the type, but I"m getting artifacts below it no matter what I do. It had been working fine on this model, and I do not think it's the map as I have remade it several times now. I'm using the modifier, 2D, placing the map with the Vray Bitmapfilter, and it's a 16bit image. If I turn the bottle slightly this seems to disappear, but I need the bottle straight on. I have also tried upping the smoothing and turbosmoothing but it didn't make a difference. Very odd.

Any clues from the experts?

THanks in advance,
    b
    Attached Files
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

I'd try it with cropping enabled in the bitmap
    Eric Boer
    Dev

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I am not sure what it means, but I'll dig around and find out. Incidentally, 3D displacement seems to fix it too, but it's slower for sure.

b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Just click the "apply" next to the "view Image" button
        Attached Files
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

I will give that a try - thank you.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

I had to switch back to using the Max bitmap loader to try it, but the result was the same.

I ran some renders overnight using 3D displacement and that worked fine though. Is it normal to have only one disp. mode work, as opposed to just work "better"? I have never really been clear on what the difference is, I just think of 2D as faster and 3D as better - but it's pretty fuzzy beyond that.

Thanks for the help.

b
            Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

The 3d mapping is the general displacement method, that can handle any map.

The 2d mapping is a more specialized algorithm, which can offer better quality and speed, but at the cost of accepting some limitations.

Best regards,
              Vlado
              I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Ah - that actually helps a lot. I sort of thought of them as being the other way around.

Thank you.
                b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
                X