X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Render times for interior scenes?

Hi

using a 2 QuadCore Pcs - Max 2009

what render times should I expect for a n interior scene with a vray sun+ 8 skylights+ some (not many) additional lights ?

I get extremely impossible times when trying to have a non-sploched image.

NIR
    3ds Max 2016/2021 (Vray 6.x), Windows 10 64bit , AMD 2990WX ThreadRipper 32/64 Cores, 128 gigs RAM , 2X RTX3090 48GB RAM

Anywhere between 4 and 20 hours! Depends on the objects, the glossies, etc. Generally if i'm getting huge rendertime I play around with the recursion settings to get them as low as possible without it affecting the look, although sometimes you just have an image that takes a long time.

...like this one i'm doing that has 5 chandeliers and everything is reflective because the people buying these apartments have too much money.

Comment

have you tried excluding the window glass from GI?

for some materials you could perhaps switch off glossies - replace with diffuse highlight in material

Comment

Here are a couple of other options to look at. Typically, I can get interior rendering times for about 30min to 2 hours. Its a big scene with not a whole lot of geometry, but there are a lot of reflections.

1. Check to see if you need shadows on all your lights. Don't need them? Turn em off
        2. Don't use IES lights (don't know about 2009 with Vray lights...still on 2008 with sp1). Use standard lights instead.
        3. Check your reflection/refraction bounces. Same as #1, if you don't need 5+ bounces, bring em down.

Hope this helps!

peakyfreak
        ...learning more every day...

Comment

thx guys

will try

NIR
          3ds Max 2016/2021 (Vray 6.x), Windows 10 64bit , AMD 2990WX ThreadRipper 32/64 Cores, 128 gigs RAM , 2X RTX3090 48GB RAM

Comment

Those are excellent tips unless you want a physical accurate rendering. As all lights cast shadows and have inverse square decay.

cheers
            Nils Poetoehena
            3D Visualiser
            www.demanufacture.org
            www.gielissen.com

Comment

I tried those and indeed got lower (much lower) render times

Although I think it got noisier ven though I did not change VRAY settings -

I think that the most influencial change was turning OFF the glass GI.

NIR

Comment

Working...
              X