Reflect interpolation question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reflect interpolation question

Still playing with reflection interpolation trying (desperately) to shave some time off a job.

I have done numerous tests and found the acceptable trade-off point for me for time/quality is with interpolation at a min/max of 0/0, but I thought that 0 would be effectively *no* interpolation? It definitely does one pre-pass and shaves off about 50% of the time in this case, but not sure how to read it. What does 0/0 actually mean? Would that be the 'highest' quality of interpolation?

Read through what I could on Franscesco's book but it didn't clarify things much for me, and it indicates that usually you would have the two values be the same - is there a reason for that?

Thanks in advance!
    b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

It is the same as with the irradiance map; the min/max rates only control the density of the sampling points for the reflection, but the reflections are still interpolated based on the number of interpolation samples.

You can actually go even higher than 0/0, for example, 0/1, but then speed gains may be too small.

Having the two values the same may help somewhat in the case of animations, because the samples will be more consistent, but it is in no way compulsory. You can use lower min. rate (e.g. -1/0) quite successfully also.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado.
      b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
      e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
      X