Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Distributed rendering over the internet!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distributed rendering over the internet!?!?

Hello.

Anyone tried distributing render over the internet?

Using backburner is fairly simple using a vpn I think...I'm trtying it right now but should work.

The problem is that vray DR doesn't have a server and the file has to be sent to each node over the internet...right?

Do I have to connect each node to the internet so that vray can send the same file to each node?

Is there another way to this? A DR server would be nice :0)

Thanks

You can try Hamachi: https://secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/vpn.asp

As it allows you to add remote machines to your current network, the DR nodes should be able to detect your licenses.
    www.blackbox.pt

Comment

Yep apparently it's a tad slow with the amount of data that needs to be sent in a lot of cases.

Comment

I once tried it out, it was unbearably slow (due to internet connection), so I gave up on the idea.

Comment

Hi.

I'm already using hamachi but only for backburner.

I think using DR would be a viable solution if you optimize your scenes to use local xrefs.
          Also the amount of data involved must be due to the fact that there is no "server for DR unlike backburner.

The diference is that you could send the scene only once over the internet to this "dr server" and it would forward the scene to the nodes.

Unfortunatly Vray sends the scene to each node so...if you have ten nodes it would send it ten times over the internet.

Any thougths on this vlado?

Comment

Well, you can set up a backburner server and you can send DR jobs to it. It will take care of forwarding the scene to the DR slaves.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Yes, thats true. I'll try that.
              It would be nice to have it integrated in DR though.
              Thanks

Comment

Hi there,

I just installed Hamachi and it works like a charm, really wonderfull program.
                I can access to my licence with my laptop now, but I wonder if there was a possibility to make DR working,
                All works great, bb, licence, but cant make DR working,
                the node just drop out :

Code:
                 warning: Render host xxxx (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) is not responding
                I know, and allready saw that DR would be verry slow over the internet, but I have a nice little connection and want to use it only the do some render without any texture.
                But I realy want to try it by myself.

Someone has any information about how to setup things so it would work with hamachi ?

Thanks.

Stan
                3LP Team

Comment

Are you entering the pc name or the hamachi ip address when setting up the pc for DR?

Comment

hamachi ip adresse.
                    3LP Team

Comment

Originally posted by 3LP View Post
                      hamachi ip adresse.
                      Hmmm, well that should do it. I just opened the V-Ray distributed rendering settings, then hit Add server, pasted the ip address from Hamachi, Resolve servers to check... then hit render and it started working. I am trying it out with a very simple scene with just a VRayPlane and box and both machines are rendering.

Edit:
                      actually looking at your warning message, that warning I think is the BB warning... if that is the case, it's a whole other setup, not the DR from VRay ... I have to open BB to see what I did there, that one was a little trickier to setup, from what I remember what made it work was using the hamachi IP address everywhere.
                      Last edited by rmejia; 07-02-2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Just to be clear, are you referring to DR through VRay or connecting to Backburner?

Comment

I was talking about DR throu V-Ray/Max and not throu BB.
                          is it possible that DR doesn't work with different platform versions ?
                          I'm on windows 7 32Bit on my laptop and Have install windows 32 bit on it.
                          At work I'm on windows xp sp2 64Bit and install both 32 and 64 bits max.
                          Lunch the spowner 32bit at work, but maby is it that the problem and not hamachi...

Will install quickly windows 64 on my laptop and all in 64 on it to see if that's the problem or not.

Thanks anyway, I will post my further reasearches
                          3LP Team

Comment

i remember egz and i tried it waaaay back when we were beta testing the first implementations of DR

---------------------------------------------------
                            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Working...
                            X