Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vray Lights faster?

Hi all -

Just trying to refine a basic studio setup I use. It's based on one I got from a tutorial online, and it uses Vray lights bouncing off of a white cove for soft edged lighting.

I find it renders nicely, but slowly.

I am experimenting with swapping the vray lights for max spotlights to make it quicker. Since they are bounce lights only, there are no highlights to consider and no direct shadows so they contribute to GI shadows and reflections, but are not casting 'direct' light on my objects. Given that, I figured max spotlights would be faster, if less accurate.

However I'm finding that the renders are about 30% slower with spotlights bouncing off the walls - even with shadows turned right off.

I thought vray lights would be better, but slower. So far they seem to be *faster* and better. Is that expected behaviour, or should I be looking into other settings for the slowdown with Max lights?

b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

vraylights = faster better.
    Maxlights I generally stay away from as you have so much more control over vraylights
    Chris Jackson
    Shiftmedia
    www.shiftmedia.sydney

Comment

Okay. I almost always use Vraylights for the quality anyway, it just surprised me that they were actually faster too. I guess the only real time to use Max lights is when you need a literal spotlight effect (still hard to do with Vraylights IMO).

Thanks for the help.

b
      Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Originally posted by simmsimaging View Post
        Okay. I almost always use Vraylights for the quality anyway, it just surprised me that they were actually faster too. I guess the only real time to use Max lights is when you need a literal spotlight effect (still hard to do with Vraylights IMO).

Thanks for the help.

b
        try an ies of a spotlight and use vrayIES?

Comment

Haven't had time to try an IES setup yet, but I thought that would probably be slower still given that it's more complex. That will be my next thing to test though - thanks.

b
          Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

faster

Well, I can at least say that vrayIES is much faster than the max photometric lights!
            You might download free ies viewer and save some gueswork choosing the shape you like...

Comment

Thanks - I have one, just never bothered using it much. I'll give it a try though.

b
              Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Working...
              X