No announcement yet.

Latest on SP3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best and probably daily used sp3 feature: Multimatte now supports transparency maps

Comment

Originally posted by RErender View Post
      Any chance of showing us one of the displacement maps?
      Not really.
      But the idea is RGB -> XYZ

so, a blue 255 would displace UP.

Proxy meshing is exactly as you described it: one click and it's an editable mesh in max.
      Lele
      Trouble Stirrer in RnD @ Chaos
      ----------------------
      emanuele.lecchi@chaos.com

Disclaimer:
      The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Lele - sounds really cool! Have you tried creating grass with it? Using a RGB-noise image and having the strands point in slightly different directions would look alot better than the usual all-strands-point-straight-up kinda grass I get with the normal displacement...

Cant wait for this update, and I honestly cant believe its free... If they give us all these new toys for free, then I would love to see what they are planning for release 2.0

/k

Comment

Originally posted by ^Lele^ View Post
          Not really.
          But the idea is RGB -> XYZ

so, a blue 255 would displace UP.

Proxy meshing is exactly as you described it: one click and it's an editable mesh in max.
          Heh, I know how it works, wanted a nice disp map for water

anyone one know of an easy way to generate the maps from geometry? Is there a mr shader for that? Vlado, any plans to make a vray one?
          Last edited by RErender; 14-02-2009, 01:10 AM.
          Eric Boer
          Dev

Comment

It's probably best for a modelling application to generate such maps, similar to regular displacement maps. It can be done with a script also.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Originally posted by RErender View Post
              Heh, I know how it works, wanted a nice disp map for water
              I knew you knew how it worked, i just cannot show it
              Jokes apart, we do not have a preview for the flood map, we see it directly in viewport, and the map slot returns just an arbitrary color.
              Lele
              ----------------------

Disclaimer:
              The views and opinions expressed here are my own and do not represent those of Chaos Group, unless otherwise stated.

Comment

Arch and Design support - this means - no more hours of translating my MR to VRAY !(?) YEA !!!!

Nir
                3ds Max 2016/2021 (Vray 6.x), Windows 10 64bit , AMD 2990WX ThreadRipper 32/64 Cores, 128 gigs RAM , 2X RTX3090 48GB RAM

Comment

The movie is out ("W" of Oliver Stone), so I can probably talk about this.
                  Vlado developed the Vector Displacement so that we (Frantic) could use VRay to displace flood seas.
                  It's not only working fine, it's also SUPER quick, to the point of being mind-bogging.
                  I could render full 2k frames of glossy reflective, volume transparent, displaced water at 6 minutes a frame on a quadcore.
                  80 kms worth of it.
                  It's now a stable frantic feature, and more shows are making use of it, with motionblur and whatnot.
                  People previously used to RenderMan (gelato) displacement speeds are being very impressed by how efficient and quick VRay, a "mere raytracer" is.
                  I cannot release internal benchmarks done by the Flood Developer, but i can surely say he thinks this is WELL worth the development effort.
                  As per usual, Kudos to Vlado.

what would be a typical way to generate a vector map for such displacement?
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

I'm trying to generate vector displace with modo But it seems modo is too complicated for me...

Like here - http://www.etereaestudios.com/traini...ief_maps_2.htm
                    Last edited by Paul Oblomov; 16-02-2009, 12:32 AM.
                    I just can't seem to trust myself
                    So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                    ---------------------------------------------------------
                    CG Artist

Comment

And this what I get (.exr):

http://uploaded.to/?id=awc58o

http://uploaded.to/?id=e4eug0

Seems wrong
                      Last edited by Paul Oblomov; 16-02-2009, 01:12 AM.
                      I just can't seem to trust myself
                      So what chance does that leave, for anyone else?
                      ---------------------------------------------------------
                      CG Artist

Comment

The movie is out ("W" of Oliver Stone), so I can probably talk about this.
                        Vlado developed the Vector Displacement so that we (Frantic) could use VRay to displace flood seas.
                        It's not only working fine, it's also SUPER quick, to the point of being mind-bogging.
                        I could render full 2k frames of glossy reflective, volume transparent, displaced water at 6 minutes a frame on a quadcore.
                        80 kms worth of it.
                        It's now a stable frantic feature, and more shows are making use of it, with motionblur and whatnot.
                        People previously used to RenderMan (gelato) displacement speeds are being very impressed by how efficient and quick VRay, a "mere raytracer" is.
                        I cannot release internal benchmarks done by the Flood Developer, but i can surely say he thinks this is WELL worth the development effort.
                        As per usual, Kudos to Vlado.

Any chance to see the vector Displacement in SP3 ???

Best regards...
                        My Flickr

Comment

In my understanding Vector Displacement IS included in SP3!
                          Alessandro

Comment

Originally posted by zeronove View Post
                            In my understanding Vector Displacement IS included in SP3!
                            It's not very clear in my mind
                            My Flickr

Comment

it sure is.
                              Lele
                              ----------------------

Disclaimer:

Comment

This may be a lame question but it would seem that normal maps from Zbrush and the like can be used as vector displace maps. Is this correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X