Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VrayHDRI Browse button...is there a way to see a thumbnail of the HDR image?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VrayHDRI Browse button...is there a way to see a thumbnail of the HDR image?

Is there a way to view the HDR thumbnails when choosing a VrayHDRI image in the material editor?

When "browse" is hit within the VrayHDRI map, hdr thumbnails are not visible.

Although I use 3d Photo Browser, which can view thumbnails of HDR's, you cannot drag and drop an HDR image from 3d photo browser into the "browse" button with the VrayHDRI map.

Is there an extension, plugin or script that would allow visibility of HDR thumbnails when using vrayhdri?
    Last edited by danb4026; 10-03-2009, 11:12 AM. Reason: misspell
    Daniel Black
    Archtagon LLC
    www.archtagon.com

not exactly an the answer to your question but this is a very useful and free script
    that does allow much better management of hdri images

http://www.hdrlabs.com/sibl/

Comment

I'm going to check that out right now!....interestingly, I have been setting up predefined lighting scenes as presets for future projects. This seems to fit right into what I have been working on. Does this script work with Vray?

Still want to find a way to get hdri thumbnails in windows though.
      Last edited by danb4026; 12-03-2009, 09:11 AM. Reason: add
      Daniel Black
      Archtagon LLC
      www.archtagon.com

Comment

Here is another possible option. Some of you might be able to get it working in explorer.

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/showthre...9332#post19332

(I wasn't able to get it working in Vista 32 but it's possibly just my lack of knowledge).

Comment

the script has nothing directly to do with vray it just encourages you to set up your hdri files in a certain system and gives you a nice viewer/editor in max
          once you happy with them they work with vray like any hdri

Comment

pg1.............Thanks for showing me the script. I think it will come in very handy. Certainly simplifies IBL setup. Thanks again.
            Daniel Black
            Archtagon LLC
            www.archtagon.com

Comment

no worries danb4026

Comment

The script is pretty nice. However, it doesn't support a HDR map in a Vray Dome light. The loader script automatically parses the separated maps to the environment and vray environment rollouts.

I think Dschaga wrote the importer and I think he is on the forum. Overall, it is an excellent job and makes IBL setup fairly simple. Maybe he has the time or knowledge to be able to rewrite the importer so it supports vray dome light as an option instead of the regular max environment? I ask because Vlado's domelight HDR support is supposed to be even faster while providing smoother results.

Also, I would say it goes beyond standard previewing (although that in itself is nice.) It breaks down a HDR into separate components (.jpgs and blurred hdrs) in order to speed up the rendering process.
                LunarStudio Architectural Renderings
                HDRSource HDR & sIBL Libraries
                Lunarlog - LunarStudio and HDRSource Blog

Comment

I agree, VRayDomeLight is not supported, but that would be a great addition. I think I read somewhere that Brazil's Dome light is supported, so it is probably possible.

Is there a way of getting in touch with them and seeing if it can be done?
                  Daniel Black
                  Archtagon LLC
                  www.archtagon.com

Comment

Dschaga is on the forum and he did some of the coding.

Comment

Got response from Dschaga

"I don't want to code for vray anymore so i think it would be the best if someone from the Chaosforum (lele?) add a template for kel solaars framework.

This framework is the best way to manage all the different renderer and maxversions with all the different settings."

Any more ideas to move forward?
                      Daniel Black
                      Archtagon LLC
                      www.archtagon.com

Comment

You can get pretty much the same results using texture-mapped dome lights.

Best regards,
                        Vlado
                        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Kel Solaar created a python tool which works with one and the same UI inside of XSI, LW, C4D and MAX. It basically offers the easierst way to use HDRI enviroments based on the sIBL idea.

Kel Solaars script uses templates, which will be converted on the fly to an maxscript and which will loads all files directly to max. ..pretty smart and easy to write.
                          http://www.hdrlabs.com/cgi-bin/forum...num=1219865135

The basic sIBL workflow uses a sIBL edit to automaticaly convert an HDRI to one very small diffuse hdri for lighting(for speed), one medium sized hdri for the reflections(for quality) and one big jpg/tif image for the background(to reduce the size) and one IBL textfile for informations about how to load all the files and - if wanted - an keylight for the sun.

Normally you can reduce the filesize of an 15000x7500px hdri from 20mb to a 4-5mb (and less) package, which is pretty a nice downloadsize.
                          www.cgtechniques.com | http://www.hdrlabs.com - home of hdri knowledge

Comment

All of that stuff is foreign to me. I have no idea how to write code. I just want a vray dome light in sIBL Loader. I'm lazy
                            Daniel Black
                            Archtagon LLC
                            www.archtagon.com

Comment

I'm not lazy and I don't know how to code otherwise I would.

There's no harm in wishing for something. It would be convenient but it also wouldn't be the end of the world either.

Comment

Working...
                              X