vectorDisplBake what does it do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vectorDisplBake what does it do?

What exactly do VectorDisplBake map? I can;t drag it to vraydsplacememnt map slot so what is it for?
    Luke Szeflinski
    :: www.lukx.com cgi

It is a helper material for creating maps for vector displacement, like here:

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...cement.htm#ex8

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

rtfm!

http://www.spot3d.com/vray/help/150S...cement.htm#ex8
      Eric Boer
      Dev

Comment

Heh, beat me by "that" much
        Eric Boer
        Dev

Comment

but in FM there is nothing how to use it!

I can't render map from it like with procedural maps so this is why I'm asking.
          Luke Szeflinski
          :: www.lukx.com cgi

Comment

Originally posted by lukx View Post
            I can't render map from it like with procedural maps so this is why I'm asking.
            Basically it generates a 2d texture based upon the difference between the surfaces of two objects.

That over simplifying it somewhat, but does it make sense?
            MDI Digital
            moonjam

Comment

Shimakaze explained it pretty well

Originally posted by Shimakaze View Post
              Let me try to explain...
              First off you need two objects. One high res, and one low res.
              Just like in the help file example.
              Very important though, both objects must have the same UV coordinates!

Put the two objects next to each other (unlike standard normal map baking in Max they don't have to occupy the same space) and apply the VRayVectorDisplBake material to the LOW RES model.
              Next, select your low res mesh and go into the Render to texture dialog. Make sure Projection Mapping is off and mapping coordinates is set to "use existing channel".
              Add a "VRayCompleteMap" to the list and set it's size and file format. (I recommend EXR)
              Now comes the difficult part... you must set the displacement amount in the material to the proper value. This depends entirely on your mesh and there's no perfect value. You can either guess (which I don't recommend) or you can do the following:
              Make sure the VRay Frame Buffer is enabled.
              Hide the other objects and render just the low res model. It'll have some funky coloring. In the VRay Frame Buffer, click on the "View Clamped Colors" button. There will be some white and black areas. (these represent clamped colors) Now increase the displace amount until there's no more clamped colors left.
              If you are having trouble viewing the entire model on a render because of it's complexity you can render it in the Render to Texture dialog instead, but remember, the VRay Frame Buffer will disappear once the render is finished so you must click on the "view clamped colors" button before then.
              To make it easier you can render to a large picture size so you have more time.
              Once you have the displace amount set right (the picture don't have any clamped colors), simply render to texture the "VRayCompleteMap".

To use it, apply a VRayDisplaceMod modifier to the low res object, place the rendered texture map in the "Texmap" channel, set the Amount to the same value you used in the VRayVectorDisplBake material, and turn on Vector Displacement.

Oh if you use VrayBitmapFilter to open the texture, you'll have to check the "Flip V" box to get the same result.
              Eric Boer
              Dev

Comment

Working...
              X