Texture maps for VRayEnvironmentFog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texture maps for VRayEnvironmentFog

Are we limited to procedurals for fog density and for color? I have a few bitmap images that i want to use with a gizmo....one for the density and one for colour....but for the life of me i can't get it to work. I've read the documentation and I'm still a little unclear. Any help would be great.
    -----Dwayne D. Ellis-----

You will need to use either Object XYZ or World XYZ mapping for the bitmaps - explicit map channel or environment mapping is not going to work.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado...that helped.

Comment

How does the "fog color" map slot differ from using the "fog emission" color slot?

I can change the color of the fog with "fog emission" but I can't get an image or a map to generate anything when placed in the fog color map slot.
        Daniel Black
        Archtagon LLC
        www.archtagon.com

Comment

The "Fog color" modifies the way the fog reacts to lights and GI; if you have no lights in scene, it will not have any effect. The "Fog emission" color works independently of lighting.

Best regards,
          Vlado

Comment

Vlado,

Is there anyway that you could show an example of how you could script the assigning of a VRayEnvironmentFog to a boxgizmo through maxscript? Basically i have a bunch of BoxGizmos and i want to assign all the VRayEnvironmentFogs i've made to them. I muddled through and was able to script the creation of all the VRayEnvironmentFogs with all the parameters that i want.....but i don't want to go in and pick a gizmo for each one...166 times or whatever. I'm not a scripter by any stretch but i saw in the listener:

VRayEnvironmentFog : atmospheric {4d0f78a2,1694416f}
            .gizmos : node array

...i just don't know how to use it. I can explain a bit more if its needed but its basically:
            VRayEnvironmentFog01 assigned to BoxGizmo01.

If i can get this to work more efficiently I'll post back what i'm using it for...pretty cool in my opinion!

Thanks!

Comment

You can use the regular MaxScript functions for accessing atmospheric gizmos (getGizmo/deleteGizmo/appendGizmo), for example:
              Code:
              appendGizmo (getAtmospheric 1) $sphereGizmo01
              Best regards,
              Vlado

Comment

Thanks a tonne...i'll try this and post back!

Comment

That worked perfectly Vlado...thanks! hate to keep bugging..and maybe someone else can jump in....i need to switch the texture coordinates to Planar from Object XYZ for each. This is what i have so far for creating and assigning automatically.

addAtmospheric (VRayEnvironmentFog ())
                  (getAtmospheric 01).name = "VRayEnvironmentFog01"
                  (getAtmospheric 01).fog_distance = 1
                  (getAtmospheric 01).texmap_fog_density = Bitmaptexture fileName:"C:\Images\IM-0001-0001.jpg"
                  (getAtmospheric 01).step_size = 0.25
                  (getAtmospheric 01).texture_samples = 6
                  appendGizmo (getAtmospheric 1) $BoxGizmo01

I searched the maxscript help file hoping there would be a sample but all i found was this:

<textureMap.coords>.coordType Integer default: 0

...which i realize is probably what i'm looking for since the default value of zero says its:

0- Object XYZ (Uses planar mapping based on the object’s local coordinates (disregarding the pivot point location).)

...anyway...hope someone can help with this last but, i really want to see this thing fully rendered! I'll keep plugging away but thanks in advance!

Comment

It may differ from texture to texture, but for bitmaps specifically, you can use the .coords.mapping property, for example:
                    Code:
                    t=meditmaterials[1].texmap_diffuse -- Get the diffuse texture of the first material in ME (assume VRayMtl)
                    t.coords.mapping=2 -- Planar from Object XYZ
                    Best regards,
                    Vlado

Comment

Vlado...you rock man! Your little sample of code helped...this is the line that i was missing from my above setup:

(getAtmospheric 01).texmap_fog_density.coords.mapping=2

Cool...i'll post an image up soon. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X