Interesting tests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting tests

I've got a bit of downtime which I'm using to learn more about the vray sampler.

Three things that have surprised me,
    1: Using the DMC sampler, 1/4 gives cleaner results than 1/24 . I would have thought the higher upper limit would result in a better result. I'm using QMC GI first bounce and LC second.

2: Adjusting the DMC_NT (Noise Threshold) affects the light distribution of the LC. I had always assumed the light cache parameters were self contained (ie not affected by the DMC sampler)...

3: Using just QMC for first bounce(adaptive 0.95, NT 0.01, clr thresh 0.001; aDMC 1/4 gives a decent result... 1/8 darker image and more noise... 1/18 back to the lighter result of 1/4 and less noise. Why does the result decrease and then increase in quality as I increase the max samples? I would have expected a more linear progression from high to low levels of noise.

I know I'm exposing my ignorance on this thread, but what the hell! It just goes to show how much I still need to learn!
    Many Thanks
    Patrick

This is true but in a sense it's a little frustrating in that you can never develop a solid theory about how to optimise your renders - in this case it's probably something like if you use less aa, the dmc sampler uses higher samples before passing its results to your aa which are nice and clean - with aa 1 / 18 it thinks it needs less dmc samples to achieve the same level of cleaness so the gi solution ends up being worse before it passes on a result to the aa section - in this regards the unified architecture is a little confusing. Again I could be getting the theory totally wrong but I agree with you that it's a tiny bit counter intuitive at times. It's great having the flexibility but in a lot of cases on short turn arounds I just have to hit render without the time to do optimisation - Vlado mentioned something about some kind of sampling readout to aid in this but not sure where it is with all the other stuff he has planned.

Comment

On a related note, is it right to say that using a minimum aDMC rate of 1 is BAD... I find it ends up often ignoring AA samples at the corners of the buckets. Is the only way to avoid this by using minimum aDMC rate of 2?
      Many Thanks
      Patrick

Comment

Originally posted by RE:FORM_STUDIOS View Post
        On a related note, is it right to say that using a minimum aDMC rate of 1 is BAD... I find it ends up often ignoring AA samples at the corners of the buckets.
        Make sure you are using an antialiasing filter, this will cause V-Ray to sample a little outside each bucket and avoid such issues.

Best regards,
        Vlado
        I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Also check whether you're using sub-pixel mapping as this happened to me as well because of it.

Jorge

Comment

Originally posted by vlado View Post
            Make sure you are using an antialiasing filter, this will cause V-Ray to sample a little outside each bucket and avoid such issues.

Best regards,
            Vlado
            good to know

Comment

Working...
            X