MultiMatte in After Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MultiMatte in After Effects

I've searched quite a bit for this and can't find it. I'm trying to create a mask in After Effects using the Multimatte RGB image to do some color adjustments to an animation. I do this all the time in PS, but I'm not sure of the procedure in AE.

select the layer you'll be going to mask, go to effect>channel>set matte, then pick the layer you'll use as matte (the multimatte element in this case), and choose whatever channel you rendered as matte: r,g or b.

Comment

Thanks for that. Now how do I make a selection of just that area so I can do a color or level adjustment?

Comment

you can duplicate the layer you want to colour correct, set the channel matte, and then adjust the masked duplicate.
        masking an adjustment layer wouldn't work in this case. unlike a track matte, a set matte effect would propagate to the layers below.

Comment

Just another way to do it of course is use the set matte command on a copy of your multimatte render, set its alpha channel to correspond with the object you want to cc, then make an adjustment layer underneath with the mutimatte layer used as an alpha track matte - less layers in rivolis version though.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll give both a try.

Comment

If you have saved the file as a multi-layered EXR, you can also use Effects>3D Channel>EXtractoR to extract your VRay render elements.

It's a great addition to afterFX that allows you to have all your elements in the one layered exr file.
              sigpic

Vu Nguyen
              -------------------------
              www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

Originally posted by dejaVu View Post
                If you have saved the file as a multi-layered EXR, you can also use Effects>3D Channel>EXtractoR to extract your VRay render elements.

It's a great addition to afterFX that allows you to have all your elements in the one layered exr file.
                in what version of AFX?

Comment

Originally posted by rivoli View Post
                  you can duplicate the layer you want to colour correct, set the channel matte, and then adjust the masked duplicate.
                  masking an adjustment layer wouldn't work in this case. unlike a track matte, a set matte effect would propagate to the layers below.
                  Finally got this working...thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by sv View Post
                    in what version of AFX?
                    This is available through the ProEXR plugin which is included in CS4.
                    For CS3 and earlier, you can download the free plugins from:
                    http://www.fnordware.com/OpenEXR/
                    sigpic

Vu Nguyen
                    -------------------------
                    www.loftanimation.com.au

Comment

Working...
                    X