• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The way to comp Vray elements ?

Someone could explain the step by step way
    to comp Vray element in order to recreate the complete rendering
    using the seperated passes ?
    (I found some posts about it but they're old
    and don't include the newest VRay elements)
    Regards, Fabrice.
    www.protozoaire.com

There are several possible ways to do that, depending on which elements you have rendered out?

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ight=Shimakaze

Take a look at this thread. It is very helpful in explaining compositing passes.

I agree that this is an important topic that seems to evolve with every release. Perhaps a sticky post could be added under the tips section?

There's also a good tutorial on compositing EXR passes in Nuke using both Vray and MR here:
      http://fxguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27925
      Last edited by gunny263; 18-05-2009, 02:42 PM.

Comment

The totals are not equal to raw multiplied by diffuse

Hello, I'm hoping that someone can explain to me what is going wrong.

I am trying to learn the right way to use VRay render elements and composite them to a final image in Photoshop.

For the sake of learning the process I would like both image versions (the original-non-composited and the composited) to look exactly the same.

One thing I learned is that vignetting must be turned off in the VRayCam Settings since that seemed to be only affecting the original version and not the Elements, making them look different.

Right now I've got a quite simple composited version to work (looks exactly the same as the original) which consists of the following Render elements:

VRay Global Illumination (normal blend mode) at the bottom.
        + VRay Lighting
        + VRay Background
        + VRay Reflection
        + VRay Refraction

Works great!

But now, here's my problem: whenever I try to use the Diffuse channel in combination with the RawGI, and then respectively with the RawLight, each with a multiply blend mode, and then sum both of them to obtain the GI and the Lighting i get a subtle tone difference between the composited and the original versions.

I've tried different settings in an attempt to find out where the problem lies with no luck.
        I tried saving in 64bit format, no luck.
        I tried checking/unchecking affect colors in Color Mapping, no luck.
        I also tried checking/unchecking subpixel Mapping and that didn't help either.

If anyone knows what the problem might be, please do let us know.

Thank you!

Comment

The second link Gunny263 posted solves your problem:http://fxguide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=27925

Comment

Hey, wxyz

Thank you for replying. I've visited the link. The videos are Nuke-related.
            I will take a look at them.

But in relation to photoshop & if you allready know what the problem is,
            do you have an explanation?

thank you.

PS I will take a look at the videos (though I'm not really a fan of video-tutorials) and will post here again.

Comment

OK, so i watched the videos and I'm sorry to say that none of them provided the help that I'm looking for.

The guy (Hugo Guerra) on the tut never runs into the problem I am having.

Looking forward to more helpful replies.

Comment

Following up

Just wanted to follow up on the issue.

Here´s what I've found out, Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The reason why I can´t get the Vray Elements correctly composited is that I don´t have the right Application.

I´m trying to composite Elements in Photoshop CS 3 NON-EXTENDED so i have to convert 32 bit EXR files to 16 bit in order to blend Layers and that's where the problem arises.

I've read that Photoshop CS3 Extended provides that support for 32bit images, SO I will try to get that version installed at the office. That will probably take a couple months since our (IT) manager's got a stick up his a$$.

Additionally I will try to get a Plug-In called Pro-EXR which supposedly can read the embedded layers in an EXR and place them in the right order in Photoshop.

I will let you know if that does fix the problem.

alan
                Last edited by isildur88; 02-07-2009, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X