Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realflow mesh show strange Reflection/Refraction

Hi there,

when I try to render my importet .bin Mesh from Realflow with a Water-like Material, I get strange Reflection and Refraction effects, it seems that the Mesh is damaged in some way. I also experienced that Vray is a bit sensitive when it comes to Reflections/Refractions, e.g. after Boolean operations. So is there any known procedure to get a correct rendered Water Surface from Realflow ?

Thanks for answering

Ingo

Post a pic to show the problem.

b
    Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com
    e: brett@heavyartillery.com

Comment

Here is a Testendering, I hope this will help.

Regards
      Ingo
      Attached Files

Comment

It's a bit difficult to say what is happening with this lighting setup, but I don't see any real *artifacts* that are clearly mesh related.

Try a render in a completely white environment with no lights and see what that looks like. Typical mesh problems I have had with RF meshes are black/inverted triangles - things like that. The rest is usually material or lighting related.

To avoid typical non-mesh related problems with liquid meshes you can try a bit less filtering and a bit smaller polygon size in RF to avoid pinched areas and not smooth enough curves etc. With Vray; for sure try raising the max reflection and refraction levels in the material to something very high. I often use 30/30 and make sure global ref/refr is not capped in the render dialog.

Hope that helps.
        b
        Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

Thanks Bret, I will try this and make further tests. Looking at your website, you are definitely the person who knows how to render Liquids

Thanks
          Ingo

Comment

whats your refraction depth?

---------------------------------------------------
            MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
            stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Is it just that it's a little blocky looking in areas as opposed to smooth flowing shapes in the reflections / refractions? Pretty much just a quality issue with the rf mesh - it does a fairly shitty job triangulating it. Using bercons vray metaball plugin might be interesting.

Comment

I used to think so too, but I'm finding it is just a matter of getting better at the mesh settings. It is a lot trickier than I would have thought. Can't say I have gotten much better at hitting it in one go, but I can usually get a decent mesh now.

b
                Brett Simms

www.heavyartillery.com

Comment

you can also put a meshsmooth on it and perhaps help to resolve the surface a bit better.
                  Dmitry Vinnik
                  Silhouette Images Inc.
                  ShowReel:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxSJlvSwAhA
                  https://www.linkedin.com/in/dmitry-v...-identity-name

Comment

Originally posted by Morbid Angel View Post
                    you can also put a meshsmooth on it and perhaps help to resolve the surface a bit better.

I've had good results by adding an optimize modifier under a meshsmooth.

RFRK is pretty cool too, it allows for almost realtime feed back of the meshing settings, the caveat being that it does not work with V-Ray
                    Eric Boer
                    Dev

Comment

Working...
                    X