No announcement yet.

Istance an instance of a vray proxy...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Istance an instance of a vray proxy...

if I instance an instance of a vray proxy is that the same as creating an instance of the vrayproxy?
    Or will that be more taxing than just instancing everything from the same vrayproxy? Takes more memory? Any downside to it?

Just wondering.

It is the same as instancing the original proxy.

Best regards,
    Vlado
    I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Thanks Vlado.

Comment

Since we are talking about this:

Is there a difference between instancing a proxy, copying a proxy or loading the same proxy in a new VrayProxy object ?

Comment

Originally posted by trick View Post
          Is there a difference between instancing a proxy, copying a proxy or loading the same proxy in a new VrayProxy object ?
          Yes, there is a difference. If you instance it, you save RAM since the actual data will be loaded only once; if you copy it or create a new proxy object, you will be loading the same data twice - this will take more RAM.

Best regards,
          Vlado
          I only act like I know everything, Rogers.

Comment

Actually this is a bit strange and unwelcome since you are using the same proxy. I have GroundWiz setups where the same proxy can be used in seperate instances of a GroundWiz planter to get different sprays. This would mean that a lot of memory is wasted, while references to the same proxy on disk should always be instances, whether they are instanced, copied, reloaded or rereferenced in plugins !

Another question then: if the same proxy is copied do I get 2 references to the file on disk in the Asset Tracker ? Sometimes IF there ARE 2 references to the same file and I do a replace to the same file, the second one suddenly disappears, which implies that Max automatically makes them instanced to each other. This illustrates some strange behaviour regarding identically named files...
            Last edited by trick; 29-07-2009, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X