No announcement yet.

V-Ray RT on a GPU - SIGGRAPH 2009 Demo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, it blew the CPU RT away. I love the fact that one can move around inside the window. Would be great to see how it updates material and lighting changes. It seems to be a stand alone version, I wonder if it can be used on another pc that does not have Max installed. Great work, looks awesome!

Comment

So will you be able to add more video cards to your PC to increase speed as well as use "distributed rendering" across a network? I wonder how the Caustics card will affect speed?

Comment

Is it possible to output animation previews with either the CPU or GPU flavors?

Devin.
        Video Notes:

Once a shipping product, the GPU rendering version of V-Ray RT will support distrubuted Rendering
        The product will support more than one GPU

Comment

Originally posted by nirsul View Post
          Jeff

I don't get it - is this the same RT version which is already selling or is it a totally new/different package ?

Anybody knows ?

NIR
          I believe that it's the same basic core as the current shipping CPU version. I imagine once this is further developed V-Ray RT will support GPU and/or CPU. Someone from Chaos Group would have to comment further here.

Comment

Originally posted by devin View Post
            So will you be able to add more video cards to your PC to increase speed as well as use "distributed rendering" across a network? I wonder how the Caustics card will affect speed?
            The Caustics card requires the application to support the caustics card through CausticGL. I would hazard a guess that Chaos won't provide that support given they can already beat it with a $300 GPU.

Comment

I'm all for that, if that's true I'd hate to be the Caustics guy's.

Comment

Exciting! How would this mesh with an SLI setup? Also, moving it to OpenCL would open up the number of graphics cards it would work on I assume? If there is that kind of processing performance locked away in our graphics cards how long can it be until we see full-blown non-RT rendering support on the GPU?

I am now itching for some VRay 2.0 news. Great work ChaosGroup!
                Ben Steinert
                pb2ae.com

Comment

Hi

Brazil -> Caustics
                  MentalRay -> Iray (mmm familiar name )
                  fR -> Accelerating Hollywood Initiative

link
                  Last edited by cecofuli; 10-08-2009, 12:09 PM.
                  www.francescolegrenzi.com

VRay - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book
                  Corona - THE COMPLETE GUIDE - The book

--- FACEBOOK ---

Comment

moving it to OpenCL would open up the number of graphics cards it would work on I assume?
                    Yes, most vendors seem to be moving towards an open standard.

If there is that kind of processing performance locked away in our graphics cards how long can it be until we see full-blown non-RT rendering support on the GPU?
                    Most people I spoke to at NVIDIA, ATI, Autodesk etc are expecting a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by cecofuli View Post
                      Hi

Brazil -> Caustics
                      MentalRay -> Iray (mmm familiar name name )
                      fR -> Accelerating Hollywood Initiative

link
                      There are a number of other companies who also support Caustic now too with others coming online over the next 6 months. Brazil just happens to have been acquired by Caustic, but they are not the only engine that does or will support the card.

Comment

can you post the video in another format jeff? i dont know why but that one doesnt work for me at all

---------------------------------------------------
                        MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                        stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

I also felt an almost irresistible urge to applaud along with the actual audience, that looks sooo good.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf View Post
                            can you post the video in another format jeff? i dont know why but that one doesnt work for me at all
                            Sorry my CDN only supports MP4, which is what I am using to stream this.

Comment

whooohooo. i finally saw it. who would have thought it. my stupid little cool tower thats become the joke on this forum... at siggraph. wheeee. lol. well, i could never make it there so atleast my work went

http://www.chaosgroup.com/forums/vbu...ighlight=tower
                              lol. look at the 2nd post
                              Last edited by Da_elf; 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM.

---------------------------------------------------
                              MSN addresses are not for newbies or warez users to contact the pros and bug them with
                              stupid questions the forum can answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Da_elf View Post

So visionary!
                                If it wasn't for the date up there, it would look like a Siggraph prank.
                                Brilliant.
                                My Youtube VFX Channel - http://www.youtube.com/panthon
                                Sonata in motion - My first VFX short film made with VRAY. http://vimeo.com/1645673
                                Sunset Day - My upcoming VFX short: http://www.vimeo.com/2578420

Comment

Working...
                                X