64-bit submit to 32-bit farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64-bit submit to 32-bit farm

I wanted to see if anyone had any knowledge on this matter. We have 3 artist workstations and 5 render servers. We are looking to upgrade the workstations to 64-bit os, max, and vray. We would like to leave the render servers as is. I would like to know if it is possible to submit jobs from a 64-bit version of max, vray to backburner and the servers if they are running the 32-bit version? I hope i have explained this well enough. I need to know this before we proceed.

in max 9 sp1 they supposedly fixed that issue.

"·A limitation where slaves could only select jobs from submitting machines with identical operating systems has been removed. Now, any workstation can submit jobs that can be picked by any slave, regardless of the operating system (32-bit or 64-bit Windows). IMPORTANT: Mixing slaves that have different operating systems in the same job is NOT recommended and can lead to unexpected results."

i would not recommend a mixed render farm. even with that fix you will notice small differences in rendered frames from 32 bit to 64 bit. ideally you would want the cpus on the workstations and servers to be from the same family as well.
    www.boxxtech.com

Comment

Originally posted by posterus View Post
      i would not recommend a mixed render farm. even with that fix you will notice small differences in rendered frames from 32 bit to 64 bit. ideally you would want the cpus on the workstations and servers to be from the same family as well.
      confirmed +1

Comment

Thanks for the response guys! Are there any issues with vray in this type of arrangement?

Comment

Working...
        X