Global ambient occlusion -- really?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect solution for animation!!!

I like it. For me it is the first time that I donĀ“t have to use Mental Ray for animations.
    Renderspeed is amazing.

rog!

www.sparwasser.com
    Last edited by rogerteddy; 17-12-2009, 06:16 AM.
    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    http://www.taunushelden.de

Comment

Uh... can't you already exclude objects? Insert as override, exclude glass objects from override, and exclude whatever else (foliage probably) from vraydirt map itself.

Comment

Yeah, then maybe you group all your glass so it's a single selection to exclude before the dirt-pass.
        Timothy Saunders

Comment

Originally posted by rogerteddy View Post
          I like it. For me it is the first time that I donĀ“t have to use Mental Ray for animations.
          Renderspeed is amazing.

rog!

www.sparwasser.com
          Can you give any info as to your setup with the vrayambient light ? Do you comp together in post or what ?
          Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

Originally posted by stevesideas View Post
            Can you give any info as to your setup with the vrayambient light ? Do you comp together in post or what ?
            Try this.

James Burrell www.objektiv-j.com
            Visit my Patreon patreon.com/JamesBurrell

Comment

OK. So I was right in saying you use the ambientlight in conjunction with either a daylight system or by using a vraydome light with a hdri to light your scene...

So what happens if you just want to do a AO map to comp into your scene so that you have more control where the AO is ?

The main reason Im asking is because I cant seem to do an AO map that takes refraction/opactity into consideration and also provides alpha maps for leaves...but just produces an AO map for comp.

The method above (and the GI AO) both bake the AO pass into the final image. I thought the ambient light may be a way to just switch on, create a fast (non gi) AO pass and then comp into your final image.
              Regards

Steve

My Portfolio

Comment

If you set your refractive matierials to "affect all channels" and then do a vrayextratex element with a vraydirt map in it making sure its set to "work with transparancy" checked, will that work for you?

edit: so after reading thru the thread it would appear that this has already been suggested

Could you do a multimatteelement affecting the areas you dont want AO then use that as a mask to alter the AO pass in photoshop?
                Last edited by Pixelcon; 19-12-2009, 04:39 PM.

Comment

One of the big pitfalls of using the composite method (override, extratex, etc.) is that it's not quite right. For example, reflection and refraction of a material is not taken into account because it is simply overwritten, so you might see the AO below that swimming pool water via exclusion, but you won't see AO on the reflected geometry from the water.

Comment

Ambient Light setup

@stevesideas

I used one VraySunlight (intensity 0,008 Iam not using the VrayPhysicalCam) and one Vray ambientLight with a dirtmap at 40% (100% seems to overbrighten the scene)

For the indoor scene I have about 200 Vray IES Lights.

I am new with vray, so hopefully this is the right workaround for this technique.

best.

rog!
                    Last edited by rogerteddy; 22-12-2009, 04:19 AM.
                    ::::::::::::::::::::::::::
                    http://www.taunushelden.de

Comment

If you set your refractive matierials to "affect all channels" and then do a vrayextratex element with a vraydirt map in it making sure its set to "work with transparancy" checked, will that work for you?
                      Just to verify. is the above possible? Because i can not get it to work with my glass material set with "affect channels" and my dirt set to "work with transparancy".

Best regards,

Joost

Comment

no this wont work because by using an extratex element you are, in theory, replacing the material entirely so changing any settings on your glass is useless.

Comment

Ok thanx, I thought so. So then it would be better to use the ambient ligth in that case. But then it would be great if it would be possible to get the AO as seperate pass....

Comment

Working...
                          X